Taxi hostages and running the gauntlet!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What is it that makes you think that those were the only two times it has happened? We in SB are a pretty small sample and it has happened twice in our little community. That those are the only incidents like it would be statistically improbable.

Ok, you go on believing that flights get canceled and passengers put up at a hotel on a weekly basis. If this happened with any regularity they would have anticipated this and had proper arrangements.

Ok, you go on believing that flights get canceled and passengers put up at a hotel on a weekly basis. If this happened with any regularity they would have anticipated this and had proper arrangements.
What gave you the impression that I thought it was a weekly occurrence? I certainly never said that. The reality is, as always, somewhere in the middle between the extremes.

Whoever staged this fiasco indeed should have known how the taxi union would respond and made other arrangements. It's not like the way things work with the taxis on the island is any sort of a secret; I am only there for a couple of weeks a year and I've known about it for a long time. Anyone involved in business on Cozumel or anywhere else should know how things work and do what is necessary not to run afoul of conditions on the ground, especially when their customers are out there bearing the brunt of the results of the decisions they make. IMO, whoever thought it would be a good idea to try to sneak the tourists back to the airport on shuttles is an idiot. Or maybe they were up in New York or someplace with no knowledge or experience in dealing with the way things work on Cozumel, I dunno. However it happened it was a stupid decision on someone's part.

When tourists are harassed for a situation not of their making, it leaves a bad taste in people’s mouths. I love Coz and will continue to dive there, but if that happened to me on my first time I probably wouldn’t go back.
This. For various reasons I’ve never been to Coz. Every time I read another story like this - and there is always another one - it makes it unlikely I ever will.

This. For various reasons I’ve never been to Coz. Every time I read another story like this - and there is always another one - it makes it unlikely I ever will.
It's your choice, obviously, but as I have repeatedly said, this is not an incidence of random harassment. Whoever made the decision to surreptitiously move those passengers to the airport in shuttles should have known that the taxi union would take issue with it. It was in flagrant violation of the rules that the Cozumel transportation industry has worked out to keep their workers from struggling with each other in competition for fares. Things have been really tough for these guys for the last 15 months and they are trying to keep their families fed; adherence to the rules is more important now than it was in fatter times. I rode with a taxista from my hotel to Mega a couple of weeks ago, and he thanked me over and over the whole way there for my bringing people to Cozumel to eat, drink, and stay in a hotel to help him and the rest of the island get through this.

If what happened the other day makes you want to go somewhere else, then so be it. My best wishes go with you but IMO it is your loss. Confrontation with the taxi union is quite easily avoided; don't poke the hornets' nest and you will be fine.

I rode with a taxista from my hotel to Mega a couple of weeks ago, and he thanked me over and over the whole way there for my bringing people to Cozumel to eat, drink, and stay in a hotel to help him and the rest of the island get through this.

We were there in October right after the hurricane, and again in April. We heard the same thing, also repeatedly:
"Thank you for coming to see us".
" Thank you for taking your vacation here".
" We are glad you are here".

The sincerity, nearly to the point of desperation, was humbling, touching, and at times heart wrenching.

The righteous indignation and outrage posted in this thread is nauseating, especially when considering the eloquent posts by ggun, cvchief and others who have explained the situation in such clear terms.

I don't care. It's exactly zero fks to give. I just don't care.

"But it's illegal because" Whatever their dispute, rules, local politics, etc ... I just REALLY don't care. Are the taxis right, the shuttles, the police, or the airport? Don't know, don't care. I go on vacation to get away from politics, and that kind of nonsense.

There was another thread I read here this week about someone who had an absolute disaster of a time trying to get basic medical care around a decompression incident in Cozumel. Why do they have that problem? Again, I don't care why, just that they do have that problem. As far as a vacation spot ... I mean I haven't written Cozumel off yet, but these kinds of stories at least spell out there may be some risks involved, which knocks it a little further down my places to maybe visit.

Well, if anecdotal evidence is the way to go, let me fix the 'basic medical care' question.

Long about 10-11 years ago, my wife dropped a glass and tried to catch it, lacerating a few fingers. For basic medical care, we ran over to Clinica San Miguel. They got her in exam room, cleaned it, numbed it and stitched it. Gave her an antibiotic prescription which will filled in the lobby. We were in and out in no time. Bill was around 100US. Mailed the bill to Blue Cross and they reimbursed me.

My bother in law blew and ear drum snorkelling and apparently didn't know it. Found it on a discover scuba class when he cleared his ears in 4 feet of water and a stream of bubbles came out. That was cool. Took him to the hospital and within 10 minutes had him eval-ed by a ENT, got him a prescription in the lobby and done. Cost so little I don't remember how much.

Oh and then for FUN, in 2018 on a night dive, the wife's lungs filled up with fluid do to a pulmonary hypertension. (and the fact she is seriously hard headed and didn't want to come up early and spoil the dive for everyone) So I found her hanging on the ladder having severe trouble breathing. Got her on the O2 and loaded her up in the car and rushed her to International Hospital. They could not have been better. Got her in the ER and started taking images. The medical director himself came in from home to assist the ER doc. Spend a day or so in the ICU, which was like three private rooms with one nurse. And the other two were empty, so nursing that night was 1:1. Moved to a regular room with awesome ocean view and then, with the lungs cleared up, discharged. They handed direct billing to Blue Cross. BC paid all but maybe 700 that the sent to DAN. Our cost was ZERO. (as a side note, came back to Johns Hopkins and got her a couple new heart valves in 2019 and she is good to go for another 100,000 miles.)

Do I need to also include stories of bad basic medical care in the US?

Oh and avoid Hawaii. They have an illegal bus issue as well: Hawaii bill would increase fines for illegal tour buses

One off? Are you aware of any other time when a plane was canceled for the night and all the passengers put up at a hotel? If they don't "see it that way" then they are stupid. Some things are simply fact and not a matter of perspective.
Years ago, (maybe 5+), my late afternoon flight was cancelled due to a severe, continuous rain storm. We were all shuttled to the Intercontinental Presidential Hotel (an upgrade over my usual accommodation). We were loaded onto shuttle buses the next morning without incident or interference from the taxi industry.

I might follow another poster's suggestion and try to designate 1 taxi driver for on-going support (I am a frequent visitor to Coz).

Years ago, (maybe 5+), my late afternoon flight was cancelled due to a severe, continuous rain storm. We were all shuttled to the Intercontinental Presidential Hotel (an upgrade over my usual accommodation). We were loaded onto shuttle buses the next morning without incident or interference from the taxi industry.
Of course I have no way of knowing, but I would be willing to bet that a deal was made.

Of course I have no way of knowing, but I would be willing to bet that a deal was made.

Well you can break the law and not get caught.

RZuHihihpgsrvmrIVYXnP2EqP2XI98neqJUeUPYhs5fVKmcpUnAkIx2MGkAJd0aospZZGC2lnHUrbooEnacRDedRL46FlaYE.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom