Taxi hostages and running the gauntlet!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Was it? Did the passenger have to go through check in again? Did they have their checked bags or just the carry-on? It had to be a separate flight. I've never been on a flight so empty - even last summer - that could absorb all the passengers from another flight.You might have noticed the flights are running pretty full.
When I had that experience it was because the (Continental) plane had never left Houston for its round trip to Cozumel. We got our checked bags back for the night, and the next day when the plane was finally coming we had to check in all over again just as if the day before had never happened. And yes, it was a separate flight; if it was a daily run there were two that day.

More than likely people will not stop going to cozumel but will alter their behavior if possible
Hijack over

No, exactly!! Like the first thing I heard about taxis in Coz, was don't get in before asking a price, my altered behavior.

When I had that experience it was because the (Continental) plane had never left Houston for its round trip to Cozumel. We got our checked bags back for the night, and the next day when the plane was finally coming we had to check in all over again just as if the day before had never happened. And yes, it was a separate flight; if it was a daily run there were two that day.

That is interesting. We only once had SW cancel a return flight to BWI for fog. Caught mayair back and had ohana deep dish. I guess that plane must have just sat there overnight? I never really though about the need of ANOTHER whole plane. But we actually flew at the same time the next day I think. I don't think there was a second flight? Maybe there was?

Biggest problem was getting out of the airport once the flight was cancelled. I was pushing so I could get that mayair flight and get back on the island asap. Then the next day, I had to explain the duty free alcohol checking back in. But it all worked out. No taxis involved.....

I don't know about taxi unions in the Caymans, we always rent a car for the week.
I would love to have done that in Mexico but the large number of clearly necessary police and military checkpoints that our various drivers there had to go through and the VERY aggressive way they drove to get anywhere made that sort of a non option.

I don't know about taxi unions in the Caymans, we always rent a car for the week.
I would love to have done that in Mexico but the large number of clearly necessary police and military checkpoints that our various drivers there had to go through and the VERY aggressive way they drove to get anywhere made that sort of a non option.

We do have everything on the island, local and state officer, Marines, Airforce, National Guard, Army and Navy. Sorry we can't offer you too many check points. Oh, well INM has been doing a little bit lately. And the cops run one now and again in the hood.

And are you saying a taxi driver drove too fast to get you out and get that next fare? Shocking. I try to drive on the island just like a taxi. I figure that is safest.

Thank goodness the cayman taxi drivers aren't like the rest of the world's taxi drivers. Oh... wait.... Never mind. Daily complaints about taxi and bus drivers - Cayman Compass

And our check points aren't this fancy. I don't think we even have reflective vests....
upload_2021-6-5_16-41-0.png

7 pages of bitching about nothing. I play the game. I take a van from the airport to the hotel. Then take taxis everywhere else. Heck I don't even negotiate for "honest" fares. These guys are suffering so much that the extra $5 I pay means squat to me and a lot more to them. Net effect: I have a great vacation. They make a few bucks. We're all happy. Why sweat the small stuff?

You couldn't pay me to get into an Uber here in Q Roo, not a chance. The green taxis in Cancun had issues a few months ago and I had to take one of those but it really appeared they were killing them coming out of the tourist area not going into - I figured I was okay - I took the ADO van back outa there though, you don't need to call me a cab no thank you.

I'll step out and say this - the cab drivers here in Cozumel - I have yet to meet a bad one but I don't really get tourist cabs either. I know roughly the rates here in town and have never ever been jacked on the rate. I have witnessed two cab drivers intervene in incidents in a good way and I have heard of many others. They are a marked unofficial police force in one way. They are extremely protective of their turf and if you play by the "rules" you'll virtually never have an issue. They are in general great guys and gals......

Back
Top Bottom