DiveRite XT Advanced OW package vs Apeks XTX200 - DIY which one?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

akchan

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi,

Im researching for my first regulator. I seemed to have narrowed it down to the Apeks XTX200 first/second and the Diverite XT Advanced open water package. Lets say I can get both at the same price but I have to buy the SPG and Octo for Apeks, so +80 for brass and glass, and $100ish for used TX40 Octo? (will that TX40 be fine?)

I am very technical savvy and plan to buy the regulator savvy rebuild book and eventually service my own equipment, just like I do with all engines, automobiles, electronics, etc. so access to parts and manuals will be top priority.

For DIY rebuild parts and manuals, how do they compare?
******EDIT- well I found this 2012 post on DR not providing manuals and parts XT regulator schematic . Checked northeast scuba supply and they didnt have the kit for 5300 regulator... Please tell me if this is still true.******
******EDIT - Easily googled the XTX200 service manual so thats a good thing! so far I am leaning towards APEKS. I see Northeast Scuba supply has Apeks kits too. ******

I've read up on the Apeks and they seem pretty reliable, tried and true with the XTX line. How about the Diverite XT? Have there been any complaints on these?

Both very good regulators, I own the Dive Rite XT in side mount but have a DS4 Apeks so I can't comment on diving the XTX200. I've serviced both and they are both easy to work on; I do find the Apeks manuals better written.

EDIT: I should have mentioned that Apeks kits are not readily available in North America and I was trained on and service them and DR through a LDS so parts and manuals weren't an issue for me. If I was going truly Independent I would Loog at something like DGX.

Any Apeks branded kits in the US are gray market, sale of their parts kits in the USA is strictly forbidden in the dealership agreements. There are 3rd party kits available but are not Apeks branded kits.
Dive Rite sells kits, but does not widely distribute the manuals or allow end users to take the course so you have to "figure it out".

If you want to DIY regs, get Deep6 Signature regs. They allow the users to actually take the service course and if you take the course, they will give you a free set of parts every year.

Having used/owned several Apeks, and also XT, although Apeks is far more "named" and probably built on higher standarsd, DR'S are fine! It's my current choice SM set (used together with my Sidewinder) and have one as one of theBO i use with my other CCR.
For most diving you will be well with DR, they are less expensive, easily serviced
Either option ( the already said D6 included) will be good
One good thing about the cited makers, together with SP, Poseidon and some others is that the design barely changes over the years, making servicing easier

You have to figure out what works best for you (price, availability of parts etc) but even if you go with Apeks, save money and go DST/XTX50 route.
Disclaimer: I dive those, servicing them myself and able to buy genuine Apeks parts kits in Europe.

You have to figure out what works best for you (price, availability of parts etc) but even if you go with Apeks, save money and go DST/XTX50 route.
Disclaimer: I dive those, servicing them myself and able to buy genuine Apeks parts kits in Europe.
I too prefer DST XTX 50 over XTX200, equal performance, better configuration

I went with the XTX200 FSR I found on ebay new for $413 shipped. Looked for the XTX50 but all new ones cost more than the XTX200 I found. (Now I'm gonna look like the newbie who just bought the expensive one :()

Looking at an ATX40 for octo as well. Seems like a solid octo? What is the going price for one? How is $95 or so?

Yes I see many genuine apeks rebuild kits on ebay but they seem way more than aftermarket on northeast scuba supply. Where does everyone buy theirs? I see the AP0241/AA and for first stage and AP0219/AA.

Nothing wrong on getting the 200!
Be sure you'll get a great reg!
The 40 is a Nice octo (the one i use on singles), but any quality octo will do the job

Regards

I went with the XTX200 FSR I found on ebay new for $413 shipped. Looked for the XTX50 but all new ones cost more than the XTX200 I found. (Now I'm gonna look like the newbie who just bought the expensive one :()

Looking at an ATX40 for octo as well. Seems like a solid octo? What is the going price for one? How is $95 or so?

Yes I see many genuine apeks rebuild kits on ebay but they seem way more than aftermarket on northeast scuba supply. Where does everyone buy theirs? I see the AP0241/AA and for first stage and AP0219/AA.

Octo's should be 50's or higher, the adjustment knob is most useful on the octo's to be able to detune them when they are not in use.
The genuine kits are expensive because they all have to ship in from Europe, but they are all Gray Market as well so they are charging a premium for the risk incurred from violating their dealership agreements to not sell to the US.

Back
Top Bottom