Foolishness

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The inattention exhibited by a diving instructor to one of his students at Vortex Springs.

The diver was a very small person. His/her tank had slipped down in the tank strap and was hanging down to about the diver's ankles.

The diver actually looked as if s/he was walking about in the springs during the grand tour and sightseeing trip.

The instructor seemed completely oblivious to the issue so I swam over to him and brought the matter to his attention.

On a woodeen wreck, 2 divers entering the stern section that still have a deck (about 5 ft wide and 20 ft long) change the viz from 30 ft to 1 ft with innapropriate finning. We were just after them and it's a luck that we know the place really well.

I was buddying with an instructor. We had a tag-a-long. He swam over me knocking my mask off and then swam over the instructor doing the same thing. I learned more from him on not what to do.

Another dive boat had a class. When they jumped in they tried to descend head first. Their finning above the water was funny.

baitedstorm:
my favorite one was watching a newbie go down with their snorkel in mouth instead of their regs.... :laughing:
This doesn't happen exclusively to newbies. :blush:

a newbie dive buddy of mine on a trip to san carlos freaked out under water and wanted to surface. but i guess he didn't know how to signal it right so he grabbed my bd and started to pull me up with him. he let go, but it was stupid of him to grab me, all he had to do was simply use hand signals. i would have followed him. he was low on air (if i rem right, he had 350 psi left and we were at 35 feet or so).
never grab somebody like that and pull them up with you. not everyone is cool with a lung overexpansion injury.

I would say this summer while diving with the club, we were standing there going through our pre dive and rigging. Guy comes up and decides he is not going to use the entry/exit point and tries to climb up a 85 deg incline, falls a couple of times and starts to loose his tank. I get a hand on him and we make a human chain to pull him up (obstinate old man he was). He starts talking to me, and the aroma hits....he had been drinking prior to his dive. Took awhile to talk him out of diving the rest of the day finally, after threatening to call the owner he agreed not to.

CathyI8205:
When they jumped in they tried to descend head first. Their finning above the water was funny.
LMAO. I see that sooo often. It never fails to make me laugh. My girlfriend tells me off for laughing at people that do that but c'mon... Its funny

While diving a wall ... top of the wall at 50 fsw, bottom at about 90 fsw.

Watched a diver descending from above me (apparently from a boat), plant his fins firmly on the edge at the top of the wall, windmill his arms a couple times, and do a perfect, tank-first descent to the bottom of the wall, culminating in a mushroom cloud of silt when he hit the bottom.

The whole sequence was reminiscent of Wile E. Coyote on the old Road Runner cartoons ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Last year in Maui, I watched a lady take a baby stride and crushed the divemasters foot on the swim platform. He was HOT!!! He went to the front of the boat and did the best he could to keep quiet. I asked if I could help him any way, he goes "oh this a happens once every 6 months". Thats when I was ready to give him the Darwin award. 1st time="accident", 2nd time="dipcrap factor raising fast" 3rd time it happens to you="you should have all your decision making responsibilities revoked". Then as we all began our decent, another guy was inflating his BCD to the point where it was "whistling" at the dump valve. Then he starts saying, "I need more weight" over and over. Needless to say I laughed the whole dive.

A guy I used to dive with--one of those folks with lots of dives, but he had no sense whatsoever--backrolls off the boat. And stays there. He's messing with his gear, and totally not paying attention. Nothing new for him.
I hear him yelling, and I look over just in time to see another of our buddies, weighing in at over 400 lbs, rolling off the boat right on top of Clueless Man. He did not look up, and Large Guy did not look down. It was classic. Nobody was hurt, but both men lost fins, regs, and masks. We all split a gut laughing.

You'd think Clueless Man would have learned. But Every. Dive. We would have to ask him to move out of the way so everyone else could get into the water, too. The guy has a doctorate in Chemistry. You'd think...

Putz.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom