give us a break, would ya?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Always a pleasure to dive with newly certified divers. They believe in buddy skills, planning the dive, adherence to safety rules, and some other things that some of the "vastly experienced" divers cannot be bothered with.

I'll dive with someone who is new and upfront about it much more quickly than someone of any level of experience who feels the need to brag about how many how deep how many years how skilled they are.

Come down and dive with me anytime. Or invite me up there, I make occasional business trips to MN and would love to mix in some diving!

theskull

I generally prefer not to dive with a new diver, or with an "unknown" buddy since my dives almost always involve work and specific goals that I don't want cut short by having to look for a missing buddy (as has happened the few times I relented) or deal with their issues.

However, if I'm not planning a specific work or research function on a dive, I will dive with a new diver. In fact, last week I dove with my nephew who was newly certified and he proved to be surprisingly good underwater. I almost felt I was with a seasoned buddy!

As for PADI, any agency has good and bad instructors. I know examples of both from PADI (although fewer bad ones from other agencies). IMHO PADI has watered down instruction, perhaps with the intention of reaching more people and introducing them to SCUBA (not a bad goal in itself). Instruction decades ago was far more rigorous. However a good PADI instructor can produce certified divers who are every bit as good as any other agency.

Dr. Bill

Walter:
Listen carefully - I love diving with new divers. I don't care what agency issued your card. I do have more respect for some agencies than others, but that does not reflect on the individual divers. If you are a brand new diver, there are a number of things I know. You have a lot to learn, but then so do I. If I dive with you, I'll likely be giving you tips and helping you hone your skills. That's a benefit to you. I also know you are more likely to be excited about things that have become ho hum for me. See that 6 ft long Green Moray? It doesn't excite me. It does excite you and I love to see your excitement. I get excited all over again about things that lost their thrill for me long ago just by buddying with a new diver. That's a benefit to me. I get to show you things you've never seen before. That's fun for us both - a double benefit!

Can you make all the dives I'm planning? No. You're not ready, but if you apply yourself you will be someday, maybe sooner than you think.

Come to Florida, let's plan some dives we'll both enjoy!
AMEN!
Also, if you are a new diver, hopefully you haven't picked up some bad habits yet, and experienced divers can help you over the hurdles. I don't mind diving with new divers, have many a time, just don't lie about your experience and be willing to learn. Keep an open mind. What works for me in warm tropical waters may not work for somebody else diving in cold freshwater lakes.

As a newbie to Scuba myself, I start classes hopefully in May, I think I'm going probably have to crack open the old wallet to solve the problem. With the training and certification dives, I don't think I'm going to feel comfortable in diving with any one with less training and experience than a dive master or someone with a lot dives under thier belt. Plus if I'm paying for the person to be there then it's up to me when we stop or not. I would hate to have to call a dive for another person just because I'm not feeling comfortable. Not that I wouldn'tcall the dive I know keeping going if your not feeling comfortable would be just asking to get killed. But I'd still feel bad about the situation. But if I'm paying for the person to be there they are there for me, if I decide to call the dive it's done. They are not out of anything and they also can help me with any problem I had at the moment with thier experience. This is how I feel about it now.. by the time I get certified I might feel a little more comfortable with my skills and abilites so none of this might not apply. Just my 2 cents

Rob

A chain is only as strong as its weakest link.
If you think that you have power just because you are paying for somebody else, do you expect them not to call the dive if they need to?? Sorry, but it doesn't work like that diving. I don't call many dives, but when I do, I have my reasons, whether they seem OK or not to my buddy. Its my life, not theirs.

Rookie_J:
today at a dive shop the salesperson and i were having a great conversation about area dives. we talked about where and when and that i was more than welcome to join them. when i told him i was a newly certified diver he sort of shrugged and asked "well where have you dove", when i stated that i had only done 2 dives after my certification, his tone changed, he stated "oh you're brand new, well you and your buddy will have to visit our dive sights", he walked away and disappeared into the office..

Considering that he was a salesperson and not the SCUBA police, blowing off a new diver makes me wonder if he understands what his purpose in the store actually is.

The guys that have been diving a while already have most of the stuff they need, while new divers usually don't have much of anything, and need pretty much everything.

Blowing you off cost the shop a phenominal amount of money in sales over the next few years (I'd say how much, but I don't want to scare you :cool: ).

There are 65 SCUBA shops in Minnisota. You should go find a friendlier one.

If the salesperson was smart, when you told him you were new, he would have lit up like you were his new best friend, and found out what you had, what you might need, introduced you to some other new divers and sold you a season pass on a local dive boat doing not-too-threatening dives.

If you ever come to Central New York (Ontario, Thousand Islands, Great Lakes), I'll be happy to dive with you!

Terry

Scuba_Jenny:
A chain is only as strong as its weakest link.
If you think that you have power just because you are paying for somebody else, do you expect them not to call the dive if they need to?? Sorry, but it doesn't work like that diving. I don't call many dives, but when I do, I have my reasons, whether they seem OK or not to my buddy. Its my life, not theirs.

I think you misunderstand me, I'm not saying that he can't call a dive if he needs to. As far as that's concerned by all means call the dive. What I'm saying is if I'm paying for the person to be my dive buddy his priority is on first himself as it should be, and then me. He doesn't have his own agenda on looking around or taking pictures. Basically he's there as a guilde to me not as an other diver looking around like I would be.. If I'm making any since at all....

Rob

I was about to say almost the same thing as webmonkey. Do the store owner and yourself a favor. Tell the store owner about your experience and how it made you feel.
If he gives you the same attitude then walk away to the 64 other stores webmonkey mentioned. You never know he may be filled with remorse and offer you a great deal on something :wink:

While I wouldn't want to be buddied up with brand new divers for every dive, I like going diving with a newbie once in a while. Their enthusiasm and wonder is positively delightful and refreshing!

I also see it part of an implied social contract. Experienced divers helped me through some rough times at the beginning, it's only fair that I do the same for others now.

drbill:
I generally prefer not to dive with a new diver, or with an "unknown" buddy since my dives almost always involve work and specific goals that I don't want cut short by having to look for a missing buddy (as has happened the few times I relented) or deal with their issues.

However, if I'm not planning a specific work or research function on a dive, I will dive with a new diver. In fact, last week I dove with my nephew who was newly certified and he proved to be surprisingly good underwater. I almost felt I was with a seasoned buddy!

As for PADI, any agency has good and bad instructors. I know examples of both from PADI (although fewer bad ones from other agencies). IMHO PADI has watered down instruction, perhaps with the intention of reaching more people and introducing them to SCUBA (not a bad goal in itself). Instruction decades ago was far more rigorous. However a good PADI instructor can produce certified divers who are every bit as good as any other agency.

Dr. Bill

.............on both issues.

Every once in a while a new diver starts to grate on me a bit. When this happens I try to remember that I was a new diver once and I really appreciated those that were patient and helpful with me. That is the type of diver I now want to be.

Leave your arogance on the dock. Let's enjoy this great sport together.

Good Diving,

Dave

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom