give us a break, would ya?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wristshot:
Remember that there are few things in life that cause you to really understand and really remember things than "teaching" to someone else.

We had an absolutely awful (and dangerous and idiotic) diver in our AOW class a few years back. (Some of you have heard of the infamous Ed the Diver) Watching him, teaching him and protecting him really helped ingrain a number of things for me.

The hoover you help mentor today, could end up being a great buddy down the road if you help them.

Wristshot
Hey when are you going to write the "Adventures With Ed" series. I loved the one that you posted and want more. Your style of writing is wonderful!

Being a new diver myself, I guess that I was lucky to find the dive shop that I did. I live in the NorthShore area in Mass, and I took my padi course from Unersea divers in Beverly Mass. Anyways not only did they have the padi course there, but they also have a dive club, called the dive society.

I tell you this is a great club, specially for us new divers, becuase not only do they have very good dms/instructors, but at the end of a dive they sometimes will give you a quick critique on your diving skills. They do this to help you out as far as diving skills, and I think that it is a great way to keep on advancing my diving skills. There is nothing wrong with a little constructive critism.

They go to a varitey of dive sites that may either be easy to get to or very difficult to enter the water from. I've also done many boat dives with this group, and I plan to continue my association with this group for many years. As my skill level increases I'll be able to help out others that are newer then me. When I do that I'm also helping myself a little.

I also found another dive group that has a wide variety of skill levels of divers, they range from novice like myself to commercial divers. Not only does this club dive every Sunday from I guess late April til late december, or when the water freezes over. But they have many social activities that you can bring people from your family to. So its a pretty good group.

Even though I plan to do a couple dives a lone by myself this year, but not until I've had several more dives with these groups to make sure that my equipment is in top working condition, I am planning on doing many dives with this group this comming season as well as the other group.

Did you say what part of the country are you in. Because on this site I go to New Engalnd Lobsters and sometimes if I'm looking for a dive buddy, I'll post it there. I've gone on two different dives with two different groups of people. So you may want to post in the area that you live that you want to dive.

I only read three pages so I'm sure I'm repeating someone else's sentiment.

Maybe he wwas going to do some dives to advanced for your current level. If so, he should have asked your experience before offering. After realizing his mistake he should have offered to go or have someone go with you a different time to make up for it. Walking off was uncalled for.

My old motocycle mechanic once asked me why all the Engineers he worked with with jerks and incompetent but I wasn't. He asked why I seemed different. I told him to think of all the mechanics he knew and tell me how many of them he would let work on his bike. He figured about a third of them. Unfortunately divers, like mechanics or engineers, are people too. There are plenty of jerks mixed among the great people. Unfortunately once someone becomes an 'expert', the jerks vocalize much more than the great people.

Find a good group of local divers through the board or clubs and they will impart their knowledge on to you. Blow off the jerks.

Rookie,

What part of Minnesota are you from? If you are around the Twin Cities, both Scuba Dive & Travel and Air Down There organize regular fun dives. I believe there are also a couple of shops out of Duluth that also do fun dives. I am also a new diver and have always felt welcomed at these dives.

I am curious as to which shop this guy worked in. PM me if you want.

Tim

See, that's the kind of attitude that needs to present itself more often on a dive boat. Amen. No matter hold experienced you are, you always have something new to learn.

Walter:
Listen carefully - I love diving with new divers. I don't care what agency issued your card. I do have more respect for some agencies than others, but that does not reflect on the individual divers. If you are a brand new diver, there are a number of things I know. You have a lot to learn, but then so do I. If I dive with you, I'll likely be giving you tips and helping you hone your skills. That's a benefit to you. I also know you are more likely to be excited about things that have become ho hum for me. See that 6 ft long Green Moray? It doesn't excite me. It does excite you and I love to see your excitement. I get excited all over again about things that lost their thrill for me long ago just by buddying with a new diver. That's a benefit to me. I get to show you things you've never seen before. That's fun for us both - a double benefit!

Can you make all the dives I'm planning? No. You're not ready, but if you apply yourself you will be someday, maybe sooner than you think.

Come to Florida, let's plan some dives we'll both enjoy!

ranger979:
Rookie,

What part of Minnesota are you from? If you are around the Twin Cities, both Scuba Dive & Travel and Air Down There organize regular fun dives. I believe there are also a couple of shops out of Duluth that also do fun dives. I am also a new diver and have always felt welcomed at these dives.

I am curious as to which shop this guy worked in. PM me if you want.

Tim

I see from your profile, you are not far from me (Cambridge)..

I have a buddy, that I started diving with when he was pretty darn new. I was buddied with him on some shop led fun dive. He was a bit of a muppet, but he was eager to learn & he was aware. He returned signals & watched his air... plus, he had a car. So I volunteered to dive with him anytime. We dove together quite a bit after that & he was obviously a diver. It's been a few months now & the guy dives like MAD!!! He's pushing 100 logged dives in probably 6 months (of temperate water diving). He told me that prior to our diving together (& a few others) he was getting frustrated by a lack of buddies and by his own lack of experience & nearly gave up diving. I couldn't believe it... this guy lives for diving, now.
The moral of the story is... you can find a capable, competent, compatible buddy... & when you do, you will go diving. And (apart from taking courses) that's the only way to gain experience.

Hey Rookie,
I hope you look positive,find some other folks to dive with! We are all new divers,old salt's dont count dives any more!
Hey you ever get to Wisconsin =You hit me up,and I will buddy with you,and get you out to a local wreck in lakemichigan in your range! I love to dive with divers of all skills,Im not about to take a new diver in 4'-6' swells and do a boat dive, but will do it with folks that have, I have no problem with a new diver making sure you get back on the boat in a low air deal and I have air left!
I started diving late in life and had the chance to dive with a much younger group that let me go on my own pace,At first I thought I may be a drag on them-but was not,now we are all pals for life!
So try to find a club,some pals, and plan dives-trust me you will find a bunch of great pals through diving! but as all things there are a few knobs out there!
Brad

All my experience is fairly recent. I was at the now closed Club Med Sonora Bay in the Sea of Cortez in August of 2001. I took the "resort" course for two hours and then did 10 dives on five days on a boat with 15-20 certified divers, many of whom had 100+ dives. The reception I received from everybody on the Club Med dive boat made me feel welcome, special, and was probably responsible for my doing the PADI OW certification the following summer.

Since then I have been diving in a bunch of warm water "tourist magnet" locations: Maui/Lanai, Bora Bora and Moorea in French Polynesia, Florida Keys, Cancun, and Cozumel. Not once have I run into an experienced diver who treated me badly---generally, the divers that I have been paired with have an obvious love of diving, and are very happy to pass on what knowledge they have. THREE CHEERS FOR ALL OF THEM!

The ONLY negative experience so far with PEOPLE (as opposed to poor viz, etc.) was with the dive crew at one of the dive operations in French Polynesia. The dive guide was arrogant, had little interest in the inexperienced divers, and did his best to reduce the weight we carried in our weight belts to as close to zero as possible. Suffice it to say, it did not contribute to a successful dive.

i spoke with the fella the other day, he claims it was not his intention to seemingly blow me off. misunderstanding, we proceeded to have a good conversation...

on the other hand, Tech divers, sheesh :wink:

Back
Top Bottom