give us a break, would ya?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rookie_J:
i spoke with the fella the other day, he claims it was not his intention to seemingly blow me off. misunderstanding, we proceeded to have a good conversation...

That's good you got things worked out Rookie. You know I have no problems diving with you, and if you are ever back down this way please look me up!

Matt

Corigan:
That's good you got things worked out Rookie. You know I have no problems diving with you, and if you are ever back down this way please look me up!

Matt

thank you very much, i really appreciate it.

i would of really liked to have checked out Morrison a bit more. now that i have my boyency more or less worked out for that wetsuit. :wink:

i was really thinking about another trip down in a few months, i certainly would like to hook up with all of you again. maybe this time the gulf will cooperate :D

Rookie_J:
i was really thinking about another trip down in a few months, i certainly would like to hook up with all of you again. maybe this time the gulf will cooperate :D
Let me know bud, I'm sure we will all come out and dive again. As for the gulf, God could only hope so, maybe next time we should drive a few hrs more and head out to the Atlantic.. :p

Matt

Rookie J,

I've seen more than one LDS employee with this attitude. When you're new, they're willing to sell you everything you need to get started, but when it comes to actually using the equipment, that's a whole other story. My advice is to A) find a new shop. There are plenty of them out there that want to help you as a new diver, not just take your money. B) ask the shop for information on local dive clubs. There are usually clubs that are affiliated with the shops, and they will welcome you as a newbie.

Good luck!

I don't get it? nOObs are a HOOT to dive with! They bring a whole new feel to a dive that I tend to forget after a while. To hell with anyone that puts you off for being a new diver. EVERYONE that dives was new at one time. Chalk it up to pure arrogance and walk away.

Rookie_J:
Every so often i read negative things on here about PADI certified divers, experienced divers not wanting to dive with newbies because they either cut your dive short or newbies don't have a clue.

today at a dive shop the salesperson and i were having a great conversation about area dives. we talked about where and when and that i was more than welcome to join them. when i told him i was a newly certified diver he sort of shrugged and asked "well where have you dove", when i stated that i had only done 2 dives after my certification, his tone changed, he stated "oh you're brand new, well you and your buddy will have to visit our dive sights", he walked away and disappeared into the office..

I have my Padi open water card, it means that i have "basic" knowledge of how things work. like most other things in life, i will get better with time, experience and helpful input from those with more experience..

so for those of you who have forgotten, you were once a rookie.

rant over.
you dont want to dive with a person that is going to treat you that way anyhow, as you stated we were all new at one time and i dont have a problem diving with a new diver as it is fun to show them the neat things that they havent seen and a chance for a good relaxing dive, keep on diving and find someone else that will take the time to show you the ropes and the fun , sounds like you just ran into a real jerk, lots of good divers out there

Rookie_J:
when i told him i was a newly certified diver he sort of shrugged and asked "well where have you dove", when i stated that i had only done 2 dives after my certification, his tone changed, he stated "oh you're brand new, well you and your buddy will have to visit our dive sights", he walked away and disappeared into the office..

While this experience is dissapointing, don't assume that every, or even most experienced divers have this attitude.

I have not met a DM, AI, or Instructor yet with the attitude you experienced. If that is their attitude, then maybe it's best not to dive with the guy in any event, he sounds like a jerk.

There are plenty of experienced divers out there willing to dive with newer divers.

dbg40:
I don't get it? nOObs are a HOOT to dive with! They bring a whole new feel to a dive that I tend to forget after a while. To hell with anyone that puts you off for being a new diver. EVERYONE that dives was new at one time. Chalk it up to pure arrogance and walk away.

I agree. One of the great things about diving with "noobs" is watching them discover the things that hooked you on scuba to begin with.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom