1/2 inch K-Valve

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TimAZ

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am looking for a K-Valve for a 1/2 inch neck tank. Does anyone still manufacture these? Thanks in advance.

Are we talking the tapered valve that goes in the old steel tanks ? If so, I am pretty sure the answer is no. I looked last year.

But, I have two old steel tanks that I had hydro and VIP last year, not gonna VIP in October. Got two 1/2" tapered valves in them.

don O

Thanks Don,
I didn't think I could find a new one, but if anyone knew, this was the place to check. I have a couple old ones, but my customer wanted new if possible. Oh well, theanks for the info

Ebay is loaded with 1/2" tapered valves. I suspect that is what he may need. Some may have the old lead plug safety pressure relief that will need to be replaced with a proper burst disc. If he is looking for a staight o-ring sealed k-valve ,good luck-Very rare to find. I believe Sportways made one and possibly White Stag or others. I have one but can't remember which brand it was. I have seen 3/4" o-ring sealed straight thread valves turned down by a machinist to use in 1/2" tanks. Sounds iffy but I think they worked OK. For the money, try Ebay.

james croft:
I have seen 3/4" o-ring sealed straight thread valves turned down by a machinist to use in 1/2" tanks. Sounds iffy but I think they worked OK.

I have seen that and most valves have plenty of metal to do that. The only requirement is that it has to be a normal ¾” straight pipe thread valve with the air intake and tube in the middle. A few valves have the air intake off centered. As long as a good machinist cuts good ½” NPT threads it would be structurally OK. The only drawbacks is that you will lose the chrome plating and of course the cost.

Back
Top Bottom