1/2 Pound Weights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FritzCat66

Florida Reef Cat
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I recently got a metal bracket to mate my 19cf Luxfer pony to my main camband. Works great!

However, once it was installed, of course my trim weight was off. I had been carrying one pound in the side with the pony, and two pounds on the opposite side - the extra pound to compensate for the pony itself - but with the new bracket, that extra pound didn't quite do it.

So of course I put a three-pound shot bag in there at first, but found that was too much - doing the test float with arms & legs splayed out, I could feel a slight roll to the side. Obviously what I needed wasn't a full extra pound, but just 1/2 pound.

Yet a trip to my LDS revealed no half-pound soft bags!

I solved this with a trip to the fishing supply store, where they had a variety of solid weights, including a half-pounder about the size and shape of a Cadbury chocolate egg (although not nearly as flavorful).

Lead egg installed in the trim pocket with the two-pound bag, now everything balances out perfectly! 2.5 pounds of trim turned out to be just right.

So, I picked up a couple more 1/2-pound lead eggs, because it seemed like I had once before been in a situation where I needed to add just one pound to my ditchable weight, but needed to split it up between the two pockets and couldn't; now I can.

I would rather stick with soft weights, though. Does anyone make half-pound soft bags, without going DIY? If not, why? I can't be the first diver ever who needed a half-pound trim.

you are not alone
:eek:hbrother:
yea and you can't give a half pint of blood either...nothing is better than half...apparently

Why don't you just get a one pound soft weight and empty half the lead out? Then sew it, duck tape it, seal it somehow back up. You can probably use the remaining half in some sort of canvas bag and now you have two half pound soft weights.

Man, if you could only stretch it to 1......

AQUAWS.JPG

Does anyone make half-pound soft bags, without going DIY?

Why don't you just get a one pound soft weight and empty half the lead out? Then sew it, duck tape it, seal it somehow back up. You can probably use the remaining half in some sort of canvas bag and now you have two half pound soft weights.

Yes, I considered that. But like I said, I'm not really interested in DIY, I don't really sew, certainly not any sewing I would trust to retain lead weghts, and frankly I'm not interested in learning that particular skill. I prefer to pay to have professionally-constructed 1/2 pound weight bags so I'm rather baffled why they don't already exist.

Hey vendors! I have MONEY for you!!! I'll pay the same for a half-pound bag that I would give you for a full pound! Cash! Right now! Helloooo???? echo... echo... echo...

Meanwhile, the eggs are doing their thing, so it's not like this is some crisis. Just rather puzzling since everyone here emphasizes how important it is to be properly weighted and trimmed - and I totally agree - yet it doesn't seem to bother anyone else that they can't get more granular than one pound bags. :idk:

I use 1 lb weights to adjust my buoyancy and trim. Often I keep a 1lb weight in a tank band pocket on the left side with no corresponding right side weight. I don't think you notice an imbalance when the weight difference is so small.

Adam

1649910430455.png

SuperiorDiveWeights
Title (1lb - 5lb Soft...) is misleading; Half pound weight at bottom of drop menu. 🏋️‍♂️

Ankle weights are usually used for fine trim. Made of tubular nylon webbing with shot inside, sealed with plastic buckles at the ends. DIY but no sewing required: just cut the nylon, melt the ends with a lighter, thread through one buckle, fill the webbing with shot, and thread through other buckle. Wash hands after handling lead. Don’t know exactly how you would fasten it to your rig but it clips into a closed loop so there’s usually a way.

1/2# is getting pretty finicky though, as a cold water diver I’m happy to get within 5#.

Maybe take it to your tailor and have them do the sewing. Mine sewed my harness for me and it was perfect.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom