1 critical, 1 missing(?) in Sydney

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WetPup

Weedy Sea Dragon
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Limited information at this point.

One diver critical in hospital, and conflicting reports of a second who may be missing in Sydney's northern beaches.

Hoping for the best.

Edited to add: ABC News 24 (I'm watching actual tv) says the diver in hospital suffered cardiac arrest. Still no word on the possible missing diver.

Last edited:
Channel 9 web site says no second diver, the person was diving alone. Hard to see how you could get into trouble at Shelly Beach, one of the easiest dive sites in Sydney. Hope he pulls through okay.

So.. I was a few hundred meters away from where they pulled the diver from the water. Pure co-incidence I had gone to a local pub with my boss for an afternoon beer.

I don't have a lot to report apart from the fact that they are now confident that there was not a second diver, although in the minutes after the event all manner of talk was about a second diver.

The response from the services was super quick, multiple ambulances, the rescue helicopter was there in maybe 10 minutes doing circles obviously looking for someone. A police boat was there soon after. The looked for maybe an hour before disappearing, so i'm guessing they got word that there was no 2nd diver.

What I can say is that the conditions were aweful. It was a fairly hot day (35C 95F) today but they had predicated late storms all day. At the time they pulled him out, it had been evident for at least an hour prior that storms were coming, and the conditions were terrible. The surf was quite rough with 2-3m swells at least - by the time the police boat arrived, it was really crashing around in the waves with the boat mostly disappearing between waves.
This was the type of boat -> http://cdn.newsapi.com.au/image/v1/11406b63191d3328533a51ac9a8d8a8d?width=650
so some pretty decent swell.

Not a chance i'd want to be diving in the water at that time. I'm guessing the guy tried to get back in and suffered a heart attack with the effort.

Last edited:
So.. I was a few hundred meters away from where they pulled the diver from the water. Pure co-incidence I had gone to a local pub with my boss for an afternoon beer.

I don't have a lot to report apart from the fact that they are now confident that there was not a second diver, although in the minutes after the event all manner of talk was about a second diver.

The response from the services was super quick, multiple ambulances, the rescue helicopter was there in maybe 10 minutes doing circles obviously looking for someone. A police boat was there soon after. The looked for maybe an hour before disappearing, so i'm guessing they got word that there was no 2nd diver.

What I can say is that the conditions were aweful. It was a fairly hot day (35C 95F) today but they had predicated late storms all day. At the time they pulled him out, it had been evident for at least an hour prior that storms were coming, and the conditions were terrible. The surf was quite rough with 2-3m swells at least - by the time the police boat arrived, it was really crashing around in the waves with the boat mostly disappearing between waves.
This was the type of boat -> https://www.flickr.com/photos/29029178@N03/9397972793 so some pretty decent swell.

Not a chance i'd want to be diving in the water at that time. I'm guessing the guy tried to get back in and suffered a heart attack with the effort.

Thanks for this info. Hope the critical diver pulls through and can confirm that there was no second diver with them.

Really sad, condolences to his family and friends. Ozgriffo thanks for the factual information.

Very sad to hear this happened at a dive site so close to home. Thoughts are with his friends and family.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom