1-Day Coz Stop on Cruise

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Basheirt

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Will be in Coz on 12/26/2022 from 7am-4pm on a cruise stop. Looking to dive with a very safe and reputable dive company NOT affiliated with the cruise.

Any recommendations of who to use? Why?
Any warnings about who NOT to use? Why not?

Cozumel has a lot of dive ops, and many different shops have fans on Scubaboard. Personally I have mainly used Tres Pelicanos and Jungle Divers. Jungle Divers are great, but the boats they use leave a bit later in the morning and are slower, so I don't think that would work well with your cruise schedule.

Tres Pelicanos should work. We usually meet at their in-town office by 7:40 a.m. and they arrange transport to the marina (though you can meet at the marina) for their 8 a.m. boats. What I like about 3P is
  • Lots of good information on their website, including pricing -- some dive ops it is like pulling teeth to get details (meeting places, departure times, pricing, etc.);
  • Responsive and friendly communication through emails -- many dive ops don't respond in a timely way (or at all) and many that do are like emailing with Tarzan (short replies without a lot of info);
  • Fair pricing, and accept credit cards for payment (many don't, even for multi-day packages);
  • Will usually let you get in an afternoon or night dive with a smaller number of divers than most dive ops (probably not a big factor for your day trip, but we love night dives there);
  • Fast boats with small groups of divers -- 8 a.m. dives have you back around 1 p.m.
  • Good captains and DMs who really make this a "diver's dive shop" - proving full valet service and in-water assistance if wanted, but also letting people just dive their own dives and surface separately (they are magical in following bubbles - but do bring your DSMB);
  • Oh, and nice snacks for the surface interval -- usually a cake of some sort, as well as fresh fruit.
Hope this helps!

If bringing gear, 7:40 may not be an issue. Renting gear will be a bit tight since you have to go to town by taxi abd that is kinda crazy.

Communication is the key, gaving forms filled out and emailed with copy if C card...

Can be done but you need to be in line to get off boat early, probably missing breakfast unless your ship has early breakfast (6am or 630).

Otherwise a 9 AM would work but getting back at 2:30 may cut it close (conract dive op for estimated return timel.

Scuba Mau is less than a mile north of 2 of the cruise ports ( the 3rd is downtown.) You could easily walk there vs getting a taxi and there’s a couple places close to grab lunch after.
We usually meet around 8 and are always headed out by 8:30 leaving from across the street. Fast boats and back by 1 pm as a rule. Thing is you never know when a mechanical issue could blow your return time. The contracted operators for the cruises do guarantee you’ll be back on time.
The day after Christmas could be an issue as parties go on late.

Blue Angel has a late morning 10am dive and also an 11am dive/ snorkle combo. I think I’d shoot for the 10am to be sure to get back to your ship on time. They used to have cruise ship people on their late morning trips. I assume they still do.

Are you really able to get off the ship at 7am is a big question - if that's true, you can look at shops that depart at 8 but realistically, you need a shop that is based in the marina so you don't have to make a stop on the way to the marina. They need to have rental equipment, they need to have fast boats and they need to have many boats because that day is a prime crazy day in the marina. Your real choices are pretty slim.

Scuba with Tony leaves at 8 - back 12:30 or 1
Dive with Martin leaves at 8 - back 12:30 or 1
Scuba Life leaves at 9 - back 1:30

I own a dive business and it's not one of those three - but IMO, those are the three easiest ones for you to work with - you need to really confirm if you can get off the boat at 7. There is no daly around time in the morning, you need to get off the boat and to a taxi....

Will be in Coz on 12/26/2022 from 7am-4pm on a cruise stop. Looking to dive with a very safe and reputable dive company NOT affiliated with the cruise.

Any recommendations of who to use? Why?
Any warnings about who NOT to use? Why not?
Is there any particular reason that you do not want to dive with a cruise arranged trip? You'd be diving the same sites and an arranged dive trip will coordinate with the cruise company; you won't get left behind if something goes amiss. Whoever you go with, the dive op is not likely to take cruseros on an advanced dive.

Is there any particular reason that you do not want to dive with a cruise arranged trip? You'd be diving the same sites and an arranged dive trip will coordinate with the cruise company; you won't get left behind if something goes amiss. Whoever you go with, the dive op is not likely to take cruseros on an advanced dive.

^^^This^^^ Odds are if you're cruising then diving isn't the main focus of your travel and you're just looking to get wet. (not a dig at cruising and Coz is a great place to get wet :)) Just dodge the twatwaffles (SB word of the week...I'll tire of it soon :wink:) , be safe, and enjoy the viz. :bounce::bounce::bounce:

Dive with Martin. Boat is located right near where the ship docks. So close in fact we walked past it and out of the port before figuring out our mistake and snuck back in.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom