1 or 2 piece wetsuits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

advantage of two piece (particularly famer john ) is more insulation on your core. That be said you never retain the nice pool of warm water in your suit like a one piece. For that reason I only dive one piece with integrated hood, (and I dive in New Hampshire which most would consider very cold) I use it all summer!

but its really up to personal fit, (kinda like button fly vs. zipper, briefs vs boxer, etc.)

Well, the water exchange is the major point for using a one-piece suit + optional vest.
I'm not sure if there are 7 mm ice vests, but you get 7+5 with a vest and reduced water exchange. With a 2 piece suit you can get 7+7 on your torso, but you get higher water exchange, which is, in my opinion, a major downpoint.

Also, I like the increased flexibility of a full suit + vest. Use the suit without the vest in warmer water, with or without hood. If it gets cold (or deep) add the vest.
suit + extra hood: more flexibility (can dive in warm water without hood), but more water exchange. And so on...
Well, you get my meaning ;-)

All the comments about hooded vests are definitely true. When I'm diving cold I wear a hooded vest with either a farmer john and step in jacket or a full suit and then decide whether I need the step in jacket.

As I said originally, the hood is the factor for me. It's an absolute must.

I've been using a full suit since I first started diving. To me, they are easier put get in and out of, are less restrictive, and require less lead. I wear a 5mm full suit and dive in Maine from mid-May to early October without a hooded vest (although I'm looking into one now).

The people I know who do a lot of boat diving in So Cal use two piece, 7-mil skin-in farmer johns with attached hoods. The zipper only comes up to the sternum. I think most of the commercial urchin divers use the same type of suit, except they are 1/2 inch suits. All of the free divers I know in So Cal also use farmer johns, skin in. Their suits don't have zippers.

I prefer a quality 1 piece suit for a multitude of reasons. With a 2 piece suite you have almost double the material in the torso which can offer more warmth but at the cost of some dexterity and added weight needed to achieve negative buoyancy. Here is what I look for in a quality single piece wetsuit.

Material- Hyper stretch OR super stretch is preferable in my opinion. The more comfortable you are in the water the higher the odds you will enjoy your dive. This allows for greater dexterity underwater and a far better fit to the curves of your body. The fit of the suite and proper size are paramount. Too small and you get fatigued quicker. Too big and water circulates causing you to become colder much faster.

How do I get a good fit and how do I know I have a good fit? The best way for a nice comfortable fit is to either use a very small amount of hair conditioner to slick the bottom portion of the inside of your suit or use "suit ease" powder. Roll the top portion of the suit out so the legs are easily accessible. The key to a proper fitting wetsuit is in the crotch. By rolling the top portion of the suit outwards you have less friction to deal with and can use the fold as a handle to pull on. Eliminating the "pocket" in the crotch and the small of your back Those are the indications that you're looking for that you have a properly fitting wetsuit.

What makes a quality single piece wetsuit? Look for "Rolled" seals on the suit's wrists and ankles. Also a good wetsuit will have a small flap midway up the calf to act as a second seal. In a suite where the hood is attached there should also be a "bib" that slips over your head prior to pulling the shoulders and hood over before zipping the front.

For cold water diving I prefer a 7mm single piece suit with the hood attached. I have found this type to be the best in terms of amount of weight needed, uniformity of material for balance and provides the least amount of water transfer between your body and the suit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom