10 years old scuba?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aqua_Born

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My daughter is 10 years old. We try scuba this year, but the instructor says she is tool small for scuba. Is there any problem for the lungs at this age?
10x in advance

There are issues with the lungs as well as other potential physical problems.

Read this.

A few points from the article:

Ears

The inability of children to equalize pressure in the middle ears while flying as passengers in commercial aircraft is a significant problem. As a result, there are numerous studies of this inability of children to clear. Basically, the overwhelming majority of kids under age 12 cannot equalize pressure in the middle ear, especially when the pressure in the middle ear is "negative" (middle ear pressure is less than the ambient pressure in the outer ear). Since the pressure changes involved in scuba diving are greater than those seen in commercial aircraft flights (an adult can rupture an ear drum in approximately eight feet of water and I personally know someone who lost their hearing as a result of a surface dice in a pool while a child), it seems reasonable to believe this inability to ?clear? would be a problem in diving. Basically, in children, the Eustachian tube is small, flat, and horizontal (compared to an adult?s). This orientation makes it difficult for the ear to drain and, as a result, ear infections are more common in kids than adults. This condition, in very small kids, has been termed ?glue ears.? In addition, the Eustachian tube closes when a child swallows, as compared to opening with an adult. Under so-called "negative pressure," the tube closes and then air movement becomes impossible.

Patent Foramen Ovale

Now, let?s add to this the emerging work on Patent Foramen Ovale (PFO?s) and scuba diving. There are too many references on this topic to put in one slide, so see the CNS reference list at the end of this article. We could spend hours on this topic alone. In the interest of time, I will mention only the study by Germonpre that suggests a correlation between forceful Valsalva and cerebral DCS. I would also like to suggest that every instructor, or anyone interested in the PFO question, read the review on PFO?s and diving by Krooss (see CNS reference list, below).

Briefly, in the womb, we all had an opening in the heart that allows blood circulation to by-pass the lungs. In the womb, we had no need for the lungs because ?mom,? via placenta, took care of oxygenation, delivery of foods and removal of cellular waste. At birth, this opening in the heart begins to seal. In about 25-30% of adults (PERHAPS more in kids), this opening has not totally sealed (patent means ?open? and foramen ovale refers to an oval shaped aperture that lies in the secondary secondus of the heart, the green arrow, below, roughly illustrates the location). Typically, this does NOT have much clinical relevance in terms of impaired function, but can be a problem in diving because under increased thoracic pressure (common in a Valsalva maneuver), this defect can allow bubbles (which form on every dive) to move into arterial circulation. There is a growing body of evidence that suggests this is of concern to divers. The theory is that the bubbles, once passed into arterial circulation, can lodge in areas of the central nervous system and, over time, lead to deficits in nervous system function.

Lungs

The airway passages of a child are smaller in comparison to cavity space of the alveoli compared to an adult.

My concern: The narrower airways suggest an increased risk to barotrauma. The magnitude of this increase, if any, is unknown.

There is some literature out there, but unfortunately it all seems to say the same thing - that the effects of diving on children are unknown, because there is simply too little information. PADI has attempted to mitigate some of these potential issues with a depth limit for young divers, so perhaps you need to find a PADI instructor. Maturity level and comfort in the water is very important, and if you feel comfortable with your child on these issues, I think you ought to find another instructor to train your child. My 10 year old just got certified with PADI, and we are doing dives to 40 feet with no illl effects.

My girls just got certified thru NAUI the youngest will be 11 in Nov.
She had no dificulty and is very mature, went to just past 50' during checkout dives, but I intend to keep it limited to 40' for the most part for a couple more years.

There was a boy in the class 12 or 14 I don't recall and has wanted to dive since he was 10, but his dad said when the boy was 10 he wanted to dive so he could go down, inflate the bc and see how fast he could come up. Needless to say dad made him wait awhile and he appeared to be mature enough now.

As said my son is certified at age of 10YO and has some great bottom time logged this past year,all dives have been way above his Jr. water depth limits.I do strongly agree with all health professionals and certifying and safety agency's that they still do not know the health effects on small children and for God's sake do not want to find out years down the road I have hurt my son because of his love of diving and my letting him pursue his dreams.
That said we only dive real easy sites 10'-25'FSW,he can clear his ear's,and we dive only to see marine life and ship wrecks,study history and aquatic habitats and learn. not to log bottom times!
I was on a dive boat one day and a marine biologist and Capt. stated kids diving do not comprehend death + they do not know the health effects yet that stuck with me, so all dive safe with your kids!

This is some video of me diving with my 11 yr old. I personally think 12 or 13 is the youngest reasonable age for most kids.

YouTube - mizpah sept 2009

My son was SSI certified this spring at age 10. We went to the Keys for his first ocean dives during Thanksgiving. We kept all dives under 30' (which isn't hard in the Keys). As long as you are responsible and conservative I don't see a problem with a 10 year old enjoying the sport.

Attachments

• PB060004.jpg
    PB060004.jpg
    402.7 KB · Views: 451
Depends on the child.
I am of the "wait till at least 12 years old" camp.

Just remember to mind your depths with kids.

Back
Top Bottom