100+ Dives And I Still Suck

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sabbath999

I'm with you brother. I should be a lot better at everything that I do, given the amount of time, money and energy that I've devoted.

Here are my personal favorite motivational posters. That's me in the 4th poster. But after so many years, I've accepted my short-comings. And I try to keep my sense of humor. :D

failure_small1.jpg

humiliation.jpg

perseverance.jpg

ineptitude03.jpg

For more wonderful motivational posters, go to DESPAIR.COM

Last edited:
@Doc Harry: Nice pics sir. It looks kinda sarcastic but I guess its point is well delivered.
On tracking back to the topic, Im really encouraged to see that there are a lot of people who feel the same way I do. I thought it was just me since when on some of my dives, I see confident faces with matching skills to back it up. I feel really inferior sometimes and I think its just me who is unprogressive in my skill in diving. Again, its really nice to know that there's people that suck with you. Thanks guys! And to all your improvements in being a better diver :)

It's sometimes very easy to get the idea that everybody in the water but you has it down. I love the comments from one of the most accomplished divers I know, when she says that the first five minutes of every dive, she feels completely discombobulated. I also love it when people way ahead of me screw something up, not because I want to gloat, but because it makes it a little easier to swallow my own errors.

I'm not sure if I still "suck" as a diver, or at least I know I definitely suck less than when I first started. I still can't back kick, my frog kick is terrible, my navigation skills could be improved, other skills could be improved and I continue to try to get more horizontal, more still and use less air. I hope to improve as a diver. But I used to worry more about it a while back and now I just keep reminding myself that I dive to see what's underwater and have fun, so as long as I have fun and come back safe it was a good dive. While I want to keep getting better diving isn't about competition for me.

I LOVED this post!! It is so true. I used think I was fairly decent, then took 15 years off to raise my kids. They are now all teens and certified divers. At first, they were all impressed with mom's diving skills. But now I just sit back in awe at how EASY they make it look. And then I wonder, wow...maybe I kinda suck. Exposing them to all sorts of situations (cold water, poor viz, quarries, Great Lakes, inland lakes, ocean). It will be interesting to see if they ever feel like they suck as we continue on this journey:wink:

Back
Top Bottom