100 HP or 130 HP for single diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mikeguerrero

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all,

I'm in the transition of diving doubles in the very near future, and I own a pair of 100 HP Worthington's. Love the tanks and haven't had any complaints.

However, with 160 logged dives I'm getting ready for doubles so my question is this.

Should I double up my 100's that I own, and purchase a pair of 130 HP for single diving?

The few times I got to dive with SoCal divers that came up to Pt Lobos, they recommend the 130 HP's in their waters, saying it's very common among them.

With my 100's, I do suck them down and end up calling the dive before others, all though I have gotten much better.

So can anyone chime in that owns the 130's. I really don't see them that much here in MoCal very rare, we see the 100's a lot and many dive doubles.

Thanks,

MG

Last edited:
I have single 100s and single 130s (among many other cylinders). I'm glad to have both. They serve different purposes. The 100s are more fun to dive (less weight, smaller) and work well for dives in less than 70'. At some local shallow sites (Laguna, Malibu), I can even get two 60 minute dives off a single 100. In such cases, the 130 is unnecessary. For deeper and longer (esp multilevel) dives, the 130 is fun. It also allows for two moderately long, moderately deep dives off one fill. Some of our local boats also only pump to 3000psi, in which case the 130 is a better bet.

When I lived in MA (most shore sites shallower than 40', and boat dives were almost all square profiles), single HP100s were a perfect choice. Here in SoCal, a single HP100 is STILL the better choice for most divers and dives. As I wrote earlier, though, I'm glad *I* have both.

Heiser 190.

Seriously, though, I only have one single tank (stage bottles notwithstanding), and I wish it were bigger to the tune of about 30CF :p

I've done a lot of doubles beach dives, so whether I'm using my HP100 or a borrowed bigger tank, singles always feels light. With a 130, I could probably squeak two shallow dives out of the one fill, or have a reasonable amount of gas on a boat that only fills to 3000PSI.

Also, I'm not sure this really belongs in the DIR forum. You'd probably get more feedback in the California forums.

Mike what are you going to use for a wing on your doubles? I also have the 100s , i am getting the 120s for doubles. I have had 120s rented jacked to 4300psi, are yours high or low pressure ?

Heiser 190.

Seriously, though, I only have one single tank (stage bottles notwithstanding), and I wish it were bigger to the tune of about 30CF :p

I've done a lot of doubles beach dives, so whether I'm using my HP100 or a borrowed bigger tank, singles always feels light. With a 130, I could probably squeak two shallow dives out of the one fill, or have a reasonable amount of gas on a boat that only fills to 3000PSI.

Also, I'm not sure this really belongs in the DIR forum. You'd probably get more feedback in the California forums.

Thanks for your feedback,

I posted here, because I value the opinions that come through all states, not just California waters.

Not to mention DIR forum has incredible feedback that I would not find elsewhere.

Once again thank you for your reply.

MG

Mike what are you going to use for a wing on your doubles? I also have the 100s , i am getting the 120s for doubles. I have had 120s rented jacked to 4300psi, are your high or low pressure ?

Keith,

I have the 40 lb Evolve wing from Halcyon, it's dry and hasn't been dove. I got it for only $100 dollars when they had the double down promotion.

I really value the info I get on this thread because of the variety of DIR divers all over the states and not just confined to our local waters.

So with that wing selection I made, I know I will be doubling up my 100's. It's just a matter of seeing if I can handle the 130 on my back. I would really like that extra gas on some of my deeper dives.

MG

40lbs sounds awfully small for a doubles wing for Monterey conditions.

Mike,

That is what I thought when I was on the phone with Halcyon. They did a configuration on my profile and told me the 40 lb wing is enough for diving exclusively the 100HP that I own doubled up.

They told me that if I wanted to do DECO diving with stages then I would require the 60 lb wing, remember they only make two in the Evolve sizes. There is nothing in between.

My essentials instructor also told me that 40 lb wing would be fine, so I have a good second opinion.

???

If you can't handle the single 130, you're going to be hopeless in the doubles.

It's funny how what is said on a thread can come out wrong. The 100's are easy and fun to dive, I've never dove a 130 just carried them over for a fill, they are heavy on land and that is what I should have stated. I just wonder how they will feel on my back in comparison to the 100 hp.

I am not stating that I could not do it, it just came out that way... Sorry.... :idk:

I have seen

I dive double 100s in Puget Sound with a 40 lb wing. It's fine. It would get dicey with a stage.

I'd say double the 100s and buy a 130. We have two 130s, and we fight over them. The cool thing about a 130 is that you have basically the same amount of gas in double 72s, but in a lighter package. I can tote a 130 down and back up a hill; we own no set of doubles as easy to haul on land. Which is not to say that a 130 is a light burden!

I think it's always good to have the option of diving a single tank. Sometimes the entry/exit considerations argue against doubles. Sometimes you'd like to dive with a newer diver and not intimidate them, or have them look at you and decide that they can't ever dive like that, since you're obviously a "technical" diver because you're in doubles. Sometimes there isn't really good room on the boat. A 130 gives you the small footprint of a single tank, with almost the gas of a set of doubles. I like them.

Doubles 100s are extremely useful tanks, both for long or deep recreational dives, or to have excellent gas reserves for T1 level dives.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom