1030SW and depth gauge

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ubp_sanity

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi, my first post here....

Does anyone know if the 1030SW keeps recording depth past 33'?

And does it freak out when you hit that number? Since the camera without housing is only rated for that depth?

Or for that matter, is there a setting somewhere that I haven't found to tell it that it's in a case? I'd look on mine, but my sister borrowed it recently for a trip to Cuba and I haven't got it back yet.

thanks.

Recording? You mean taking pictures or video past 33'? Yes it does. Had a student last week bring his 1030Sw to 35' at 6000' altitude which equals 50 fsw and it still worked. YRMV

Sorry, the 1030SW has a built in depth gauge, it records the depth (or altitude for that matter) into the EXIF data.

I just wondered if it keeps going past the 33' limit without a case.

Recording? You mean taking pictures or video past 33'? Yes it does. Had a student last week bring his 1030Sw to 35' at 6000' altitude which equals 50 fsw and it still worked. YRMV

I think you are missing something here. For altitude diving, it is common to compute an "equivalent" depth in terms of nitrogen loading since the atmosphere has a lower pressure when starting the dive, but for a camera housing it is only differential pressure
between the inside and the outside that matters to its ability to seal and operate the buttons. Assuming that you close it at altitude, the differential pressure starts out at 0, even though the local atmospheric pressure is only 0.77atm. It increases by 35/33 = 1.06atm, exactly the same as it would if you dove it to 35ft at sea level.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom