12 boys lost in flooded Thai cave

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm curious which order they will take the boys + coach out.

I can't find it now but I read that they were going to select the one that they though has the best level of fitness (and presumably is most comfortable with swimming and scuba) to send out first. The intent seems to be to identify the kinks and apply the lessons to the less fit/less comfortable. Based on reports that the coach gave the boys the initial tranche of food, it seems likely he will go last.

That's why they choose FFM, but how about the ear drums at depth?

A Valium mightn’t be a bad option. Keep the calm but still able to function. Clearly not without risks but panic would seem a significant risk.

Wow, the bottom of one of the sumps is 90'?

How do you equalize your ears when you are drugged up & dragged down to 90 feet deep?
Is it possible that they are considering ruptured ear drums preferable to death?

If panic is considered likely, they are running out of options.

Is there a way for a person to equalize for you? For example, do burn victims ever use the chamber unconcious? What do doctor's do then?

Drugged seems to have high risks, but 90 feet in a cave as a first dive. Holy crap...every option has high risks.

A wonderful gesture on Elon's part but............................a herculean (almost imposible) task whichever way you look at it, especially given that time is now of the essence.

And with all due respect, non cavers / non cave divers just don't seem to get it, that is the conditions and the complexity of what the rescuers are up against 'down there'. Undestandable though, as they have nothing in their life experience 'vocabulary' shall we say to relate it to. The devil is in the details (amongst numerous other things going on there).

However, on that note, I think we may find that the rescuers are forced to use what most people would / will find unconventional methods - that at this time pre final rescue attempt are not worth debating / wasting bandwith on before the fact - to 'swim' them out. Lets see how the cookie crumbles though, but it now appears what was first looked upon as the last resort (i. e. 'swim' them out) may now be the only option (whilst, as I imply, possibly using 'unconventual' methods for the swim part). Lets see - and hope for the very best.

If they can complete this whole ordeal with 'only' the one death (may he RIP) then it will be a miracle. But miracles, or what by many are looked up as miracles, do happen! Seen 'em myself, and I am not what you would call a 'religous' man. So here's hoping.​
Do not underestimate the technology and expertise Musk can bring to the think tank. Diving is not the bit he is interested, he is an innovator and problem solver. That could be usefull with the predicament they currently face.

Having sharply pain in the ears & not being able to relieve them would create panic situation. I would think, teaching the boys how to equalize with FFM would be one of the first things the rescue divers teach them, besides being calm & getting used to be in zero visibility.

They don't need to know how to swim as the rescue divers plan to tow them out. May be they would learn how to communicate by arm squeezing or tapping or whatever signal they would use in zero visibility condition.

The boys won't be carrying air tank, I heard. The lead rescue diver would carry the boy's tank. The rear rescue diver would make sure the boy would follow the leader, not wandering to the wrong direction.

Last edited:
Having sharply pain in the ears & not being able to relieve them would create panic situation. I would think, teaching the boys how to equalize with FFM would be one of the first things the rescue divers teach them, besides being calm & getting used to be in zero visibility.

They don't need to know how to swim as the rescue divers plan to tow them out. May be they would learn how to communicate by arm squeezing or tapping or whatever signal they would use in zero visibility condition.

If they are using FFM, they could have ones with communicators that just let them talk. Assuming they have kids sized ones with that available. But with so many people and resources involved, if it exists in the world, they will have it.

(And to clarify the ear pain comment, that would be if they were drugged. They wouldn't be aware of the pain to panic.)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom