12 boys lost in flooded Thai cave

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Will that air pocket continue to exist? Early reports described SEALs with the boys patching the walls. Will they have food? Recent reports described resupply missions, not a 4 month supply. Will an air line last for 4 months? In the face of resupply missions in the passages. What of sanitation on a ledge for 4 months, yes, next to water, but they do not yet swim. Will they have light for 4 months?

Any politics of responsibility aside, the options are harsh. I don't think any casting it as easy helps with the politics of having well cared for the children.

“We have developed a stretcher which can be used to move a person through floodwater even if they are unable to move on their own. And this stretcher, once in the water, weighs nothing. It floats and can be easily maneuvered by two experienced divers."

Sounds like they might tie them on in full masks?

(From the French team link)

I'm not sure what the cause but read that he had already had a dive that day and "they'd " tried to talk him out of doing the second dive. He wouldn't take the break.

“We have developed a stretcher which can be used to move a person through floodwater even if they are unable to move on their own. And this stretcher, once in the water, weighs nothing. It floats and can be easily maneuvered by two experienced divers."

Kinda sounds like that.
But IDK whether the French guys knew there were underwater restrictions when this fellow made his statement.

Stretchers are great when you don't have to do things like, fold yourself in half to fit through a hole that's barely taller than your head and requires you to squeeze through inch by inch.

But sure, those guys that aren't there most definitely know the best way to do things.....

Kinda sounds like that.
But IDK whether the French guys knew there were underwater restrictions when this fellow made his statement.

Well they are all pretty thin and the French probably are too

Having them restrained so they can’t grab the masks might be under consideration

I’m reminded of doing pediatric sedations and feeding them into an MRI etc after a traumatic accident

Of course the rescue divers can’t monitor vitals not that they would have options anyway

Well they are all pretty thin and the French probably are too

Having them restrained so they can’t grab the masks might be under consideration

I’m reminded of doing pediatric sedations and feeding them into an MRI etc after a traumatic accident

Of course the rescue divers can’t monitor vitals not that they would have options anyway

Being small has nothing to do with it. An MRI is a tube. These restrictions are not.

Look at this video. Starting about 1 minute in is a restriction. Tell me you could fit a stretcher through there.

This is NOT the cave in Thailand. This is a nice open water training site, not in the overhead, and with immediate access to the surface. Thailand is much more serious than this.

Here's another good video showing what a no-mount restriction looks like.

From what I’ve seen a stretcher won’t work.

All there is is a horrendous choice to get the kids out.

How they get them through the restriction(s) I just don’t know. I can’t see a way to do that, especially with a FFM.

I have no idea. It just seems horrible and could easily go insanely horribly wrong.

But options seem to be narrowing. If they pull this off it will be amazing.

Meanwhile as an atheist I pray.

My whatever god be with them all.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom