12 boys lost in flooded Thai cave

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Anyone want to talk about acceptable/standard equipment in cave diving?
I can’t tell if either you or Dan_T is being serious. Cave diving varies around the world with the conditions. Just because SB people expect cave divers to look like those in Florida or Mexico does not mean that some bloke in wellies with a 3l or two isn’t perfectly prepared.

Anyone want to talk about acceptable/standard equipment in cave diving?
Dual tanks, dual regulators. Gas management such that if a reg dies or you otherwise lose access to a tank you always have access to enough gas to swim out. Under normal conditions you should never have less than (at absolute minimum) 1/3 of your starting gas at the conclusion of the dive.

Agree...tremendous team effort and very resilient job by the divers. I'm also amazed by the sheer number of water pumps and drain holes drilled to reduce the water levels. I've never seen so many pumps in a rescue. And then you have all the extra volunteers for food, medical care, massages, etc. etc.

This is a valuable lesson to be learned for other communities who end up in a similar situation.
The true meaning of all hands to the pumps?

From OZ media:

Screen Shot 2018-07-10 at 6.35.25 pm.png

What does “"His job was to deliver oxygen. He did not have enough on his way back," Mr Passakorn said.””in https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.com/news/amp/world-asia-44734385 mean?

What does “The 38-year-old ran out of air while underwater, an official said.” in https://www.google.com/amp/s/kdvr.c...iver-dies-in-cave-oxygen-levels-dropping/amp/ mean?

Doesn’t OOA mean Out of Air?

Passing out is just the result, not the cause.

What kind of medical problem a 38 years old triathlete would have do you think?
The list of possible undiagnosed problems the unfortunate gentleman may have had is extensive. Its too early to be sure and speculation is just that.

I heard he ran OOA in a section that was quite short (15m) but had a very difficult restriction inside, so I'd guess he had little but sufficient air left when going in but got stuck. On the one hand they write that there are so tight restrictions that you can pass only nomount, but on the photos I see many people with mono backmount tanks.

Sorry, those who are actually on the scene are worthy of all of our praise. Those who are in other countries taking credit are not.
I knew what you meant. This is a massive team effort with some heroic divers at the sharp end and now some people who have nothing to do with the op want to ride the triumphant band wagon. That is truly low.

I can’t tell if either you or Dan_T is being serious. Cave diving varies around the world with the conditions. Just because SB people expect cave divers to look like those in Florida or Mexico does not mean that some bloke in wellies with a 3l or two isn’t perfectly prepared.
Indeed, conditions dictate the equipment required.
The usual answer in SB regarding helmet mounted light is NO. It is the only way in this case when both hands were busy dealing with various tasks.
Twin set etc etc would never get through that "restriction"!

View attachment 468357 Last known pic of Saman Kunan. May he never be forgotten.
Has the board considered a memorial section to remember divers who have given their lives to save others? It is after all the ultimate sacrifice and should not be forgotten. Hopefully it would be a very small section and would maybe serve as a reminder to other people that if you do something unwise someone else may have to pay the price for you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom