12 boys lost in flooded Thai cave

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dual tanks, dual regulators. Gas management such that if a reg dies or you otherwise lose access to a tank you always have access to enough gas to swim out. Under normal conditions you should never have less than (at absolute minimum) 1/3 of your starting gas at the conclusion of the dive.

Except there's no way of knowing from Scubaboardland whether the divers in this particular photo were working in restricted areas. For all we know they might have been placing pump hoses at the bottom of a 5ft pool in a cavern with 10ft ceiling, or they might have been performing stationary work in shallow pools.

There are literally hundreds of divers on site and only 13+5 are part of the main effort. The rest are part of the equally important but not ask risky support effort.

It's disappointing to see so many critical folks and armchair quarterbacks, especially given the fact that they've pulled nine out so far.

Last edited:
According to CNN, TEN boys have now been rescued. Phase 3 is in progress

God speed

Attachments

• D073ABA2-CA01-49DE-BA5A-37C610E6767A.jpeg
    D073ABA2-CA01-49DE-BA5A-37C610E6767A.jpeg
    87.7 KB · Views: 43
Indeed! 11th boy was carried out according to Reuters

Thailand cave rescue: 10th boy rescued as mission to free others continues – live

Reuters has a little more detail:

"An eleventh person was rescued on Tuesday from a flooded Thai cave complex where 12 boys and their football coach were trapped for more than two weeks, raising hopes all 13 would be out by the end of the day.

A Reuters witness saw three people being carried out of the Tham Luang cave on stretchers separately on Tuesday, the third day of the rescue operation."

Last edited:
Only one child, the coach and all the rescue personnel inside, then. That's just impressive; I never believed they'd be able to pull it off so well

Only one child, the coach and all the rescue personnel inside, then. That's just impressive; I never believed they'd be able to pull it off so well

This is among the most amazing feats I have ever seen in my lifetime. I was trying to explain to a friend, another private pilot, just how difficult this really was. I finally settled on following another aircraft to a landing, in instrument flight conditions, at night, by following the rotating beacon of the aircraft ahead, without prior flight training and with no communications, while preparing for engine-out events you hope don't happen...and succeeding. Then, he got it.

Except there's no way of knowing from Scubaboardland whether the divers in this particular photo were working in restricted areas. For all we know they might have been placing pump hoses at the bottom of a 5ft pool in a cavern with 10ft ceiling, or they might have been performing stationary work in shallow pools.

There are literally hundreds of divers on site and only 13+5 are part of the main effort. The rest are part of the equally important but not ask risky support effort.

It's disappointing to see so many critical folks and armchair quarterbacks, especially given the fact that they've pulled nine out so far.

Nail it on the head.

13 + 5 + 1 rescue divers for this last one.

Might be the youngest (11-years old) & the coach. Hopefully very soon!

Last edited:
The Guardian confirms that the kids were drugged:

The rescued boys were given anti-anxiety drugs but not anaesthetic, the Thai prime minister Prayut Chan-o-chau, has revealed.

Seems rather prudent to me; I for one really wouldn't want to handle a panicked child underwater in zero vis. Load them up well into happy happy joy land, but not so much that they're reduced to unconscious luggage

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom