130 high pressure

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For what sort of diving?

I've had a 130 cf high-pressure steel tank for a few years; rated to 3400 PSI. What I notice:

1.) The extra air is really nice when it's well-filled. I'm 6'1", weigh close to 275#, and something of an air hog but my main buddy is small, lean & fit, and tends to end dives with maybe 1200 PSI when I've got 500 if we're both on aluminum 80's.

2.) Not everybody's compressor can fill it all the way, although even a short fill is probably giving me a good bit more air than an 80 cf tank, and it seems like these days getting it filled isn't a hassle at my local quarry dive shop.

3.) Definitely heavier than an 80 cf tank. You may not need as much lead, but you've got to be okay with hauling that extra weight on your back.

4.) It's bigger around than a regular 80 cf tank. Do you plan to take it on boat trips where their setup is such that it won't fit?

5.) Are you familiar with the 120 cf low-pressure tanks? I'm just thinking some people prefer low-pressure, some high.

There are different brands/models of HP 130 from what I understand, not all identical.

Richard.

I've got a three XS scuba HP130s and I love 'em! Great tanks singled and doubled! If you only get a 3000# fill you still have 113 cf of breathing gas. When doubled I carry no lead, single I carry 7# on my belt. This is diving dry with a BP/W set up. My two wings are 30 and 38# lift and they are both more than adequate. As far as LP 120s go both Faber and PST have a LP120 listed (PST no longer makes Scuba tanks but they are out there) and Both of those tanks are monsters! They are heavier and taller than the HP 130. And before someone starts picking this apart yes there are LP 121s but they are also heavier and taller than the HP 130s. All of these tanks mentioned are 8" diameter tanks so you will have to adjust your strap but the payoff is multifaceted when compared to the AL80:
1) You get tons more gas
2) They trim out much better and don't go "ass up" as the breathing gas gets used
3) you can short fill them and still have lots more gas (BTW: I've not had a problem getting 3500psi fills yet)
4) tons more that I can't think of right this second but if you have buyers remorse after picking it up I know of a couple folks that are always looking for one or two.

...Great tanks singled and doubled!...

But have no doubt that these are heavy monsters, especially when doubled, and its takes a bit of practice to learn how to handle them... And, of course, steel cylinders don't tolerate getting rode hard and put away wet...

Thanks guys for the feedback. I am thinking about moving up 130 HP from my 95 LP, to give me a little more air. I like my air.

Ton's of air. I typically get 2 dives if buddies are using AL80's. Wouldn't always count on it though, and I got a 40cf stage that I use for those times that it is iffy. They are heavy mothers though, but that certainly matters more on land than once the dive starts. Better too much gas than to little.

LP tanks are rated to ~2400 PSI (more if they have plus rating), HP tanks are rated to ~3442PSI. The size of the tank (i.e. 130cf) is at the rated pressure. Meaning a HP130 rated to 3442PSI holds 130cu ft of gas @ 3442 PSI. If the tank is short filled you will not see the full capacity (which can be more of an issue on HP tanks than LP tanks).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom