14,000 dives!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fred R.

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Today I logged my 14,000th and 14001st dive. Actually my wife logs my dives, and since she is an accountant, she loves those fat zeros at the end of numbers and treated the day like my birthday.

The first dive of the day was to an artificial reef. I was involved with the project. The wreck is called La Rose and was an endeavor that helped get the Grand Bahama Dive Association under way. It is a tugboat and has been resting in about 95 feet of water since June 2006.

Today was one of those Bahama days, that would make any diver want to move here. The wind speed was listed as ‘calm’, expected to be 5-10 out of the NW, but remained CALM! As in, no waves, crystal clear water. The only boat motion while we were tied up was boat wake from passing sportfishers.

On that dive, my wife and I left the wreck and headed to a nearby divesite to install a new mooring there. The pin has been set in the bottom for years, this morning I attached a new rope and float. Then it was back to the wreck of La Rose to see how she is aging.

So far, she has very little coral growing on her, but quite a few fish in the area. Near the sand at the bow, two lionfish have set up territory. There were quite a few mysid shrimp there, as well as tobaccofish, which seem to be a favorite of the lionfish. In total five lionfish were sighted at the wreck.

Log entry, max depth 93 feet, underwater time 38 minutes, water temp 76 degrees F. Breathing gas Nitrox 30%

Since I had just set out a new mooring, we moved the boat over to it for the second dive. The divesite is named Moray Manor. It is a deep reef once known for plentiful moray eels. Many years ago a local dive shop got caught up in the excitement going on in Florida where they were creating a ‘Tire Reef’ and decided they should try one here. They thought the tires would provide more living space for the morays. It didn’t work so well. Apparently moray eels ‘see’ the world primarily with their sense of taste, and they didn’t like the taste of tires. The dive site was abandoned for a number of years. Two years ago, I began a project of removing those tires from the reef area, a project that was almost complete. Today I decided to pile the last remaining tires together so I can move them next week.

Log entry, max depth 65 feet, underwater time 30 minutes. Same water temp and breathing gas.

Simply incredible. Would you care to share with us the length of your stellar diving career and/or the frequency you get to dive in order to reach such an achievement.

It would take close to twenty years of diving two tanks a day to reach such a number. I can only dream of enjoying that much diving.

I agree with hlsooner.

Any idea how many of your dives were for pleasure (i.e. not instructional)?

It's good to know I'm not the only one doing the math ...

According to his profile he operates a dive op in the Bahamas and has done so for the last 20 years. 14000 is more than do-able with that set up. The question is how many are for pleasure and how many were instructional.

At the end of the day--way to go. I say that being a little green with envy. You are lucky to spend so much of your life wet.

Bus

14,000, that's awesome. Congratulations.

While diving Roatan, we ran the numbers for our DM. He'd been doing at least 3 dives a day, 6 days a week for at least 30 years and had at least 30,000 dives.

Wow!!!! I'll be stoked when I hit 1,400 dives, I'll probably mess myself when I hit 14,000 if I still have the control too control it.:rofl3:
Congrats,:cheers:

Joe

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom