15,000 Shipwrecks in Ireland?!?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Logiconor:
I haven’t visited any wrecks nearby, but the life beneath Irish seas is quite amazing.
If you were to come over I would most certainly recommend Strangford Lough, it’s supposedly one of the best dive sites in Europe.
strangfordof1.jpg

A drysuit is a must.

I see you marked the Alastor on your map. I was amongst the crew that got the anchors and some portholes off it in the 70s

There are always sites in NI where you can dive no matter what the weather. Just look for a cove on the lee side of the weather, the wreck that was marked on the above map (MY ALASTOR) was never a wash out. I lived in NI 61/2 years and never had to scrub a dive....maybe not able to do the one I wanted but I always got wet :D

My lovely bride has been trying to get me to take her to Ireland. She has family there and has visited them without me. I’m not a big fan of cold dreary days. However, if the diving is good, I might have a reason to go.

Dave

Teamcasa:
My lovely bride has been trying to get me to take her to Ireland. She has family there and has visited them without me. I’m not a big fan of cold dreary days. However, if the diving is good, I might have a reason to go.

Dave

If you like wrecks that is all the reason you will need to visit Ireland.....the Colleens are great also but dont tell the wife that :no

cdiver2:
There are always sites in NI where you can dive no matter what the weather.

True but technically NI is actually britain :)

Generally any coastal area with lots of bays and inlets you can find some shelter somewhere on a given day.

Ireland east coast is better than the west purely as its normally protected from the atlantic storms a bit too.

Worth noting that with these 15,000 wrecks in consists of all types. Some are little more than a few left over rivets, the rest long gone going through the spectrum from pile of plates, to bits of hull right through to intact.

It goesnt mean 15,000 good diveable wrecks:)

U260 and the Kowloon Bridge come to mind as some of the best.

String
True but technically NI is actually britain

Also another truth britain has a BIG B :D

Given that Ireland & NI are so small (I believe never more than sixty miles from the sea no mater where you are) its quiet easy to chose east or west coast depending on what the weather is doing

cdiver2:
Also another truth britain has a BIG B :D

Given that Ireland & NI are so small (I believe never more than sixty miles from the sea no mater where you are) its quiet easy to chose east or west coast depending on what the weather is doing

Ireland is roughly 160 miles wide but its not just a case of choosing coast. Not all areas have good diving plus a lot of the roads (i) dont go straight across and (ii) fairly poor/slow.

Can take 3hrs or so to change side in places.

String:
Ireland is roughly 160 miles wide but its not just a case of choosing coast. Not all areas have good diving plus a lot of the roads (i) dont go straight across and (ii) fairly poor/slow.

Can take 3hrs or so to change side in places.

But we used to do it. I lived on the east coast (NI), so if the weather was so-so we could be assured we would find a dive there. If we had a raging Nor easter we would plan (at least the day before) on doing the west coast

NI is nice in that its "on the corner" of the island, narrow and allows that (plus lochs).

Not as easy in the bottom of Eire.

Its not too dissimilar to here where we can call a site based on the wind forecast. (except lately the wind is simply so strong its not even safe to take a boat out).

String:
NI is nice in that its "on the corner" of the island, narrow and allows that (plus lochs).

Not as easy in the bottom of Eire.

Its not too dissimilar to here where we can call a site based on the wind forecast. (except lately the wind is simply so strong its not even safe to take a boat out).

in the link http://www.irishwrecksonline.net/details/Alastor93.htm was always div able and a shore dive to boot

Back
Top Bottom