15 year old who desperately wants to dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hello.

My son is very much interested in diving. (I'm certified but not too active right now.)
He has a left sided paralysis which mostly affects his left arm and hand.
He began an SDI open water course recently when we were assured there would be little difficulty.
However, he now faces these main issues:

1) weight belt removal and replacement
2) removing and replacing tank underwater
3) Alternate air source ascent. (can't

He is very strong on the right and can you use the left in a limited anchoring way.

I know there are restricted certifications, but, what kind of modified equipment is available out there to assist so that
he can be self-sufficient and obtain an open water, unrestricted certification, from, say, SDI or Padi?

Thank you very, very much.

An expert should personally advise on the exact modifications, but depending on the BCD, it is certainly possible to route the power inflator hose over the right shoulder, and configure the primary on a 5' hose with a bungied necklace backup that is short enough to bite the mouthpiece without using hands.

That results in a lot of hoses routing over the right shoulder, but it is doable. Use braided hose for its flexibility.

Integrated weights may be a way around weight belt removal and replacement. Otherwise, the technique of facing upward and holding weightbelt in right hand, next to right hip, and then rolling quickly to the left to a face down and horizontal position, should result in the weightbelt draped across the diver's rear end. As long as the diver stays in a horizontal position, he can take his time adjusting and buckling the belt.

Removing and replacing BC/tank seemingly could be slowly and methodically practiced until he perfects his own way of doing it in a refined and repeatable way.

Keep trying! Keep collecting ideas! Best of luck!

Hi there,

I have lots of experience in this. My wife is paraplegic and has limited mobility on the left side. She is AOW.

Use integrated weights (he can practice with weight belt as well)
The BCD remove and replace can be done with "minimal assistance"
Alternate air source ascent shouldn't be a problem he has a buddy to help :)

The BCD can be modified for whatever the needs are as mentioned by Dive doggie. Whatever it takes as long as its safe. My wife's has been modified as mentioned.

For diving with the disabled there are 100 different ways to achieve your goals, just don't give up and have fun!!

Any questions please post.

Mark

Last edited:
You might also want to contact Zeagle. I know they have in the past made custom BCs with the LP inflator relocated to the right side of the BC for persons with disabilities on their left side. PM ScottZeagle on this board.

SDI has a whole category of certifications for divers with limited abilities and / or some extra challenges such as limits to range of motion. You instructor SHOULD already know about this but in case he does not the porgram is called SCUBILITY and please contact:

sean.harrison@tdisdi.com (Sean is VP training for SDI) ask him to help and tell him I told you to get in touch. Good luck... tell your son to remember that ALL of us have challenges underwater... his are no worse (or better) than mine or anyone elses. He'll do it!

Hello.

My son is very much interested in diving. (I'm certified but not too active right now.)
He has a left sided paralysis which mostly affects his left arm and hand.
He began an SDI open water course recently when we were assured there would be little difficulty.
However, he now faces these main issues:

1) weight belt removal and replacement
2) removing and replacing tank underwater
3) Alternate air source ascent. (can't

He is very strong on the right and can you use the left in a limited anchoring way.

I know there are restricted certifications, but, what kind of modified equipment is available out there to assist so that
he can be self-sufficient and obtain an open water, unrestricted certification, from, say, SDI or Padi?

Thank you very, very much.
I would suggest private one to one lessons from an experienced instructor.
Issues you mention can be worked out. 1.weight removal can be done easily with a weight belt as the buckle is opened with right hand and can be pulled clear of body and then released.Replacement can be accomplished by holding it in right hand and while in horizontal position turning in clockwise direction so belt wraps on to body. 2. underwater tank removal/replacemet;this is a skill as others have mentioned that can be done with assistance.It is a pool only skill and not done or required during ow training dives.If a instructor wants it done kindly tell them that it is not a requirement for certification. 3. Alt air source ascent; if your son is the diver requiring assistance ,once he has his buddy's alt air source he can slowly swim up while donor keeps physical contact with him. To maintain proper rate of ascent your son can dump excess air in bcd that expands during ascent with a bcd that has a right hand dump valve,such as a scubapro light hawk or knight hawk.

2. underwater tank removal/replacemet;this is a skill as others have mentioned that can be done with assistance.It is a pool only skill and not done or required during ow training dives.If a instructor wants it done kindly tell them that it is not a requirement for certification. 3. Alt air source ascent; if your son is the diver requiring assistance ,once he has his buddy's alt air source he can slowly swim up while donor keeps physical contact with him. To maintain proper rate of ascent your son can dump excess air in bcd that expands during ascent with a bcd that has a right hand dump valve,such as a scubapro light hawk or knight hawk.

Thank you all so much for your replies.

Is bc/tank removal/replacement an absolute required pool skill for OW cert? (with SDI). If so, if slight assistance were need, say, buckling, would that be ok? Also, for SDI OW cert, does the diver have to be able to do alternative air ascent in the customary way?

Can someone direct me to the actual SDI skills/requirements for cert?

Thank you all, again. The suggestions of the underwater roll for weight belt replacement is extremely useful.

I think a key takeaway is to locate an instructor with expeience adapting challenged divers. An agency program has been mentioned and I have come across instructores who take a special interest in such students.

Good luck! Getting to dive with a child of mine is one it looks like I won't get to enjoy. Now there is this 6 month old grandson..........

Pete

Hello rrgoldstein,

I think it's great that you support your son so much to become a certified diver :)

I'm paralysed from around breast heights downwords, which means I haven't got leg muscles, back muscles... to use.
Additionally my left arm and hand are partly paralysed, like your son's. So, I "cheat" myself through the ocean with only my right arm.

Nevertheless I am a PADI certified Advanced Open Water Diver.
I don't need any help once I'm in the water, except when I have to -for one or the other reason- swim against strong current .

My experience:

To go diving with a dive center who has no experience with disabled divers is always a bit difficult.
They are simply scared and take the whole thing a bit to serious. I mean, I'm the first who shouts out for safety, as I'm only having this one precious life :), but...

Go and dive with your son with people who know what they are doing !
As mtabor mentioned, there are 100 different ways to achieve your goal
and those Pros who are trained to dive with people with a physical challenge know all about the requirements and safe ways round.

When I done my first Open Water Course, I didn't even have to remove my weight belt and BCD, although that's 12 years ago.

On the web side of the International Organisation for Handicapped Divers (IAHD) you can locate an instructor.
Another Organisation is the Handicapped Scuba Organisation (Handicap Scuba Association)

Good luck and a lot of great dives for you and your son!

Claudia

Greetings,
Contact the HSA (Handicapped Scuba Association)or Melvin Palsey with DVSP. (Disabled Veterans Scuba Program) in Long beach. both can direct you to safe and confident instruction.
Also check out the 3-Rs program put on by" LA County Scuba". The training is free and locate on a different public beach each month. Starting in May.
Good Divin
SoCalRich

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom