18 hours between last dive and flight

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TravelDave

Contributor
Reaction score
A group of us is looking at a Cozumel trip. Unfortunately, the only return flight we could get leaves Cancun at 7:10 am.

We would like to dive the day before, and that would leave us approximately 18 hours. That may be pushing it, since we will be diving for 4 days. Our thought is to push the more aggressive dive schedule (afternoon shore dives and a night dive) early in the trip and try to dive less frequently and more conservatively towards the end of the trip.

Any thoughts on this?

Dave

Let us know what happened on the flight back.

ShakaZulu:
Let us know what happened on the flight back.

Trip is in a couple of weeks. We're hoping nothing happens on the flight back.

Thanks,
Dave

If that were me, I'd be doing some REALLY slow ascents (much less than 30fpm) on that last day, and diving very conservatively.

TravelDave:

Thanks,
Dave

Check out scuba-doc.com He has some DAN material and copies of the USN Flying after diving tables. Use 8000' as altitude for a commercial aircraft....

TravelDave:

Thanks,
Dave

Dave,

Find someone who has the NOAA Dive Manual and look in it for the chart that shows recommended surface time before ascent to altitude. Your return flight will have a cabin altitude of 6500 to 7500 feet.

Detroit Diver's suggestion is good guidance as well.

Cheers!

netmage:
Check out scuba-doc.com He has some DAN material and copies of the USN Flying after diving tables. Use 8000' as altitude for a commercial aircraft....

Netmage,

Just as a note, that 8000 is an outside limitation on modern aircraft. As an example, we were at 6300 feet cabin altitude when the aircraft (B-777) was at 43,000 ft msl.

Now, the masks don't drop (--we call it the monkey jungle because of what it looks like with all the masks and hoses hanging--) until just prior to 10,000 ft msl cabin altitude.

BJD

TravelDave:
A group of us is looking at a Cozumel trip. Unfortunately, the only return flight we could get leaves Cancun at 7:10 am.

We would like to dive the day before, and that would leave us approximately 18 hours. That may be pushing it, since we will be diving for 4 days. Our thought is to push the more aggressive dive schedule (afternoon shore dives and a night dive) early in the trip and try to dive less frequently and more conservatively towards the end of the trip.

Any thoughts on this?

Dave

Hi Dave,

IMHO, and I beg others to correct me if I am wrong, diving Nitrox the last couple of days as if it were Air would be a good way to mitigate the risks. Of course you must always respect the MOD of the Nitrox mix you are using. I'd keep it shallow the last day either way.

Isn't the new DAN regulations 18 hours as opposed to the 24? I am sure it is better to wait longer, but just in case give DAN a holler to find out for sure.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom