18 hours between last dive and flight

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TX101:
Sorry, you're right. I'll rephrase.

I guess if JJ says it to be true, it must be right.

That's precisely why I took the class from them. If it works for folks diving 18000 ft back in a cave at 300 ft deep, in a wreck 400 ft deep, and everything in between, then it works for me. And it does work for me.

You obviously have a serious problem with GUE, so please don't take the class. It's not for everyone. Keep your computer, your computer programs, and your tables if that's what you feel comfortable with.

detroit diver:
You obviously have a serious problem with GUE, so please don't take the class. It's not for everyone. Keep your computer, your computer programs, and your tables if that's what you feel comfortable with.

Set aside your feelings for a moment. seriously.

What sort of information would you put more trust in?

The first piece of information is provided in a classroom setting with no notes provided or even available. The two day course is extremely long and tiring with 12+ hour days. You are mentally exhausted and according to class reports there is so much information provided that it's difficult to remember it all. There is no website where you can independantly verify the claims.

The second piece of information is published in dive medical journals, all over the web and in the algorithms of millions of dive computers that are used around the world every day to conduct billions of safe dives per year. It can be independantly verified from different sources.

detroit diver:
Ignoring your smart-as* remark for a moment, we are taught to not have to rely on computers to dive.

You can't read in a book what I have learned. You can however, take the class if you wish. But I'm sure you'd rather make comments like below. It's probably more fun than actually learning something.

So if you cut your charts on a computer - does that make you rely on it as well? What about looking at compters as programed algorithms (solutions) - which is what they are - then did you derive your profiles from an algorithm. Note: Take this lightly - it's intended that way and to get you to think about how we aquire information and it's value. I admire your ability to "cut" tables in your noggin!
Look... don't bash - you look really silly doing it. I think you can read a book (or other printed media) to learn what you've learned. DIR isn't anything new or earth shattering. I like DIR... I respect DIR... but it's not a bad thing like you make it out to be with the impression you leave everyone.

jhelmuth:
So if you cut your charts on a computer - does that make you rely on it as well? What about looking at compters as programed algorithms (solutions) - which is what they are - then did you derive your profiles from an algorithm. Note: Take this lightly - it's intended that way and to get you to think about how we aquire information and it's value. I admire your ability to "cut" tables in your noggin!
Look... don't bash - you look really silly doing it. I think you can read a book (or other printed media) to learn what you've learned. DIR isn't anything new or earth shattering. I like DIR... I respect DIR... but it's not a bad thing like you make it out to be with the impression you leave everyone.

Excuse me, but who's leaving the impression? I answered a question, and was slammed because I was trained with an agency that someone obviously despises.

As for your computer/algorithm suggestion, you just don't get it. We DONT USE COMPUTERS. PERIOD. We don't cut tables or charts from computers. We don't deco from computers. We don't watch the bar graphs on the computer. I'll say it again: WE DON'T USE COMPUTERS. (well, actually, I use one to graph my dives for downloading later. But it's kept in guage mode while diving.). That's why TX101 and your comments are just so funny and absurd. You make silly accusations when you have zero knowledge of the facts. And no, you can't read it in a book or other printed media (unless someone from the class has posted it). Even with that, you need to know the parameters in which to use the information.

Believe it or not, it's actually a fairly simple process. Surprisingly so.

TX101:
Set aside your feelings for a moment. seriously.

What sort of information would you put more trust in?

The first piece of information is provided in a classroom setting with no notes provided or even available. The two day course is extremely long and tiring with 12+ hour days. You are mentally exhausted and according to class reports there is so much information provided that it's difficult to remember it all. There is no website where you can independantly verify the claims.

The second piece of information is published in dive medical journals, all over the web and in the algorithms of millions of dive computers that are used around the world every day to conduct billions of safe dives per year. It can be independantly verified from different sources.

The information is so simple, that your comments above about long days/exhaustion are meaningless. You just have no idea what you are talking about.

Please tell me what happens when your computer malfunctions.

Some Lawyer:
Time to Fly
Or you could just ignore it and jump on the airplane.

DD...can't you just leave the computer at the airport to clear while you get on the plane? They can mail it home to you once the computer is safe to fly again...:D No one should ever risk allowing a bent computer to fly.

bwerb:
DD...can't you just leave the computer at the airport to clear while you get on the plane? They can mail it home to you once the computer is safe to fly again...:D No one should ever risk allowing a bent computer to fly.
OMG....You could be killed..incapactitaded...or worse...married How could you suggest such a thing.

I dunno...I get lost in the details sometimes...what would the poor orphaned computer do...your suggestion was correct...take it on the plane. I'd suggest you place it in your checked luggage so it doesn't "beep" at you all flight though.

You might even get the pilot to let you breathe from the little mask to alleviate any additonal sypmtoms and for an added level of redundancy.

bwerb:
I dunno...I get lost in the details sometimes...what would the poor orphaned computer do.
Ship it with DHL...It should off gas and be fine. It only took them 14 days to get my regs from New York to Edmonton.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom