18 hours between last dive and flight

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gdenny:
Hi Dave,

IMHO, and I beg others to correct me if I am wrong, diving Nitrox the last couple of days as if it were Air would be a good way to mitigate the risks. Of course you must always respect the MOD of the Nitrox mix you are using. I'd keep it shallow the last day either way.
Diving 36% Nx the day before the flight will give you much shallower adjust depths and increase your safety margin, indeed. Then study the NOAA manual on this. Damn, I didn't know it was available on line. That book is heavy to carry around! :biggrinba

DAN article, Jan/Feb 2004, page 12, about a workshop held in May of 2002 to address just this question: for No-Decompression Dives ... "Multiple Dives per Day or Multiple Days of Diving: A minimum preflight surface interval of 18 hours is suggested." Diving Nitrox is also a very good idea, particularly on the latter dives.

do you folks not use your computers as well? we dive the dives we fancy when on holiday, and then in the last 48 hours just keep an eye on the computer advice for the no-fly time and judge it then.

lostinspace:
do you folks not use your computers as well? we dive the dives we fancy when on holiday, and then in the last 48 hours just keep an eye on the computer advice for the no-fly time and judge it then.

What if the computer is wrong, or breaks down?

if the computer breaks down, then I would, personally, wait 24 hours.

and how do you know if your computer is "wrong"? how would you tell?

lostinspace:
if the computer breaks down, then I would, personally, wait 24 hours.

and how do you know if your computer is "wrong"? how would you tell?

I don't know. That's why I don't use a computer!

lostinspace:

So if you are sitting in the airport boarding area and they call your flight but your computer has not cleared yet, what do you do? Think they will just understand and put you on the next flight. Seems to me that a better plan is in order.

detroit diver:
I don't know. That's why I don't use a computer!

So if you can't verify a computer is correct, how can you verify that you are correct?

I guess if you read it in a book, it must be right.

Ignoring your smart-as* remark for a moment, we are taught to not have to rely on computers to dive.

You can't read in a book what I have learned. You can however, take the class if you wish. But I'm sure you'd rather make comments like below. It's probably more fun than actually learning something.

TX101:
So if you can't verify a computer is correct, how can you verify that you are correct?

I guess if you read it in a book, it must be right.

detroit diver:
Ignoring your smart-as* remark for a moment, we are taught to not have to rely on computers to dive.

You can't read in a book what I have learned. You can however, take the class if you wish. But I'm sure you'd rather make comments like below. It's probably more fun than actually learning something.

Sorry, you're right. I'll rephrase.

I guess if JJ says it to be true, it must be right.

Back
Top Bottom