18650 battery charger?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

...However, if you are buying a new charger today, better 18650 charge would be something Xtar SP2 which can charge at 2A per channel and still follow the proper charge curve.

+1 for Xtar

If you are willing to spring the extra $$ and wait for it I'd recommend this analyzing charger for Li-on and NiMh
Opus BT - C3100 V2.2 Digital Intelligent 4 Slots LCD Battery Charger
Extensive review from an excellent source: Review of Charger Opus BT-C3100 Software V2
I have a pretty sophisticated hobby charger that does just about anything. Since I got this I rarely use it.Not a bad idea to get a bettery power supply. I got one from an electronic recycle warehouse. The stock one works but the data is not as accurate. I used it for a year without any real issues. Overall it's probably my favorite charger and I have about a dozen.

Xtar makes a good charger, but pretty much that's all it is, a charger, no battery analysis. I have one (VC4) and use it extensively.....for charging. In fact both of them are running right now. Great chargers for just popping a battery and letting it go.

I had a Nitecore, worked fine on Li-on but tended to over charge my NiMh and get them hot. This problem happens with some units, not all.

Note regarding the Foxnovo F-4S - Read the top reviews. The first reviewer indicates the Opus is a better choice (the 3400 is the same as the 3100, just different names, not different models), and it costs a similar amount. The reviewer I linked to has not run tests on the Foxnovo F-4S. Frankly with all the cheap crap coming out of China I would be hesitant to buy anything he has not checked out first.

Last edited:
My favorite charger is xtar vp4

The XTAR VP4 is definitely a decent charger, but Li-on only. The VC4 is more useful being able to do NiMh chemistry as well as Li-On.
Both are ONLY chargers though, no analyzing functions available.

I bought the Nitecore D4 on AliExpress for $22.50 with free shipping, no tax. It took 3 weeks to get to me; but, it was well worth it. I am delighted with the charger.

the Xtar VP 4 is around $35 bucks on Amazon right now. I may pick one up.

When dealing directly with China it pays to be very careful what your source is. Counterfeiting of the more popular products is rampant. Some 'real' items may even have variations in components and assembly quality depending on when and where it was made. Buying from Amazon is not a guarantee of quality, since they are often just an intermediate broker (you get the item directly from the source), but you do have return options if you know enough to be able to check out the quality and validity of the item you are getting. Unfortunately most people do not have that kind of skill or equipment. It's kind of a jungle, with occasionally good hunting and some inherent problems. Buyer beware!

Minimally you should have a voltmeter and make sure your chargers are not over charging. A tad of undercharge is no big deal and actually my improve the longevity of li-on. If you don't want to do some self education on lithium battery use and charging it may be prudent not to go there.

Last edited:
My Nitecor D4 bit the big one after less than 6 months! I have another one on the way to replace this one.

XTAR VC4 Power - Good charger, I like mine.
Yeah, it comes with a USB power connector. You can get a decent 2.0+Amp USB power supply, which is a whole separate discussion of quality of THOSE. Lots of the cheap ones are lousy. Get ONLY decent, known brand names. Many of the better phones may already have something like this.

I got a regular plug-in power supply cheaply by taking the charger to a electronics recycle store and pawing through a mess of power bricks. The pin connector is not quite unusual, nor is it standard for that size.

It has a read out of voltage and input milliamps but I don't see it as terribly accurate. It's still way better than red light/green light. Personally I think it's a step up from Nitecore.

I have the Opus BT-3400.

http://www.amazon.com/BT-C3400-Universal-Analyzer-rechargeable-batteries/dp/B00NR77SL2/

It seems to work great for me. I really like knowing how much actual capacity each of my batteries is.

And I had at least one that tested way lower than spec. I would have thrown it out. But, I put it through the Refresh cycle on the Opus and now it tests with as much capacity as its cohorts that I got at the same time (which all test near their rated capacity).

Without an analyzer, I could have easily gotten in the water with that one low-capacity battery in my primary light and had a dive that ended early...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom