19 cu/ft pony= happy dive buddy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Keep it simple.Put air in your pony.

But I already have the Nitrox sticker . I can see the complications with multiple mixtures of eANX and I can see the problems of learning on the internet . I learned how to play poker on the internet SCUBA however is nothing to gamble on. I really just want to increase my ABT.Maybe I'll learn to skip breathe any pointers? just kidding

I've configured myself with 80cc primary and 19cc secondary.
Like you I dive nitrox not only to increase bottom-time but to reduce the risks DCS.
And yes I keep my pony at a a richer mix then me primary, if prime is 32 pony is 36, if prime is 36 pony is 40.

O2 poisening is not instantanious.
1) If I switch to a slightly higher O2 content in an emergency I'm already heading toward the surface.
2) If it's my last dive of the day I'm doing my safety stop on the richer mix for greater DCS safety

Talk to your instructor or a trusted dive master and make the choice right for you.... as many have said EAN online isn't the way to go :wink:

I've configured myself with 80cc primary and 19cc secondary.
Like you I dive nitrox not only to increase bottom-time but to reduce the risks DCS.
And yes I keep my pony at a a richer mix then me primary, if prime is 32 pony is 36, if prime is 36 pony is 40.

O2 poisening is not instantanious.
1) If I switch to a slightly higher O2 content in an emergency I'm already heading toward the surface.
2) If it's my last dive of the day I'm doing my safety stop on the richer mix for greater DCS safety

)

This is NOT good advice. Almost everyone will be better off with air in their pony. It is cheap, simple and safe at all recreational depths. If you are going to use nitrox in the pony than there is little benefit to using a higher mix than what you are using on the bottom.

With regard to nitrox, do you want to (pay to) dump gas and re-fill after every dive trip? Topping off with a little air before each dive trip is a lot simpler also.

This is NOT good advice. Almost everyone will be better off with air in their pony. It is cheap, simple and safe at all recreational depths. If you are going to use nitrox in the pony than there is little benefit to using a higher mix than what you are using on the bottom.

With regard to nitrox, do you want to (pay to) dump gas and re-fill after every dive trip? Topping off with a little air before each dive trip is a lot simpler also.

In an out of air situation wouldn't a higher PPO2 be a benefit .It would mean you are offgassing nitrogen at a higher rate reducing the risk of DCS . 5 $ is a small price for reduced chance of DCS . I have never been in an out of air experience but I would think that the OOA diver would be anxious and ascend at an increased rate. If I were out of air and ascending to quickly I would want as little nitrogen in my blood/Air as possible. I am not a techinical diver some may call me a Stroke but a higher PPO2 in a 19cf pony bottle that has maybe 15-20 minutes for a stressed diver sounds like it makes good sense .

respectifully
"little benefit" does not equate zero benefit.
Dollar costs is a factor for some... it does not enter into my equations.

Knowing your equipment and diving within your limits and comfort are key.

We're not talking deco stops, reduced surface intervals or any other "variation"

Opinions very throughout this board and our opinions differ... Safe diving!

I personally would not use a pony to extend bottom time. However, if that was my plan, I would match the gas in my pony with the gas in my primary tank, since it is all backgas (bottom mix).

I'd rather ask why shouldn't?

I plan all my dives based on expected air consumption and duration. At a minimum I expect to be at my safety stop at 1/3 even when on "guided-tours"

Again, it's about diving within your comfort zone..

Tank gets low, get a new one.

Want a longer dive use a larger tank.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom