1971 steel lp 72's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Krafcheck

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Just dropped off two tanks born in 1971 last inspected in 1973. had not been used since. some air was in them. never been hydrod since the initial.

What are the odds that they will be able to brought back into service? :idk: inspection and hydro. Anyone with a similar experience? Tanks were in fairly good shape. Something rusted and dripped on top of them and it was easy to wipe off. The turtle shells metal band left white rings same with the boots. I didnt look inside of them which i probably should have. But they were free so if they fail inspection due to rust and cracks i guess it wont to bad of a loss of money.

Pretty close to 100%. Only thing in question is if they have the resin internal coating, if they do some dive shops will not do the vis on them. Nothing wrong with the coating, it just takes a little more care to see if there is any corrosion under it.

We use a lot of steel 72's up here. Some are quite old but still pass inspections and hydros. I've purchased one last summer and it had some moisture on the inside, but I was able to clean it up and it past hydro and vis.

If I were you, I would go ahead and have them inspected.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom