1mil or 3 mil fullsuit for Myrtle Beach in August

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pThrift

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Looking for a little thin wetsuit for a couple Myrtle Beach dives coming up in August. They say temps are high 70's low 80's from what I understand. Will a 1mil suit keep me from getting cold or is a 3 mil necessary? Either one will be a fullsuit.

Thanks in advance--

Looking for a little thin wetsuit for a couple Myrtle Beach dives coming up in August. They say temps are high 70's low 80's from what I understand. Will a 1mil suit keep me from getting cold or is a 3 mil necessary? Either one will be a fullsuit.

Thanks in advance--

pThrift,

I've been diving off Wilmington since 1990. I'd highly suggest 3mm. We are just north of Myrtle Beach, and when we dive out of Southport, we actually visit same wrecksites as you will out of Myrtle. Surface water has been very warm this year, but on many sites, especially offshore, there has been a hard thermocline above the bottom, and water temps can drop to the lower 70s in that thermocline. Spending time of any signficance immersed in lower 70 degree water will merit the use of at least 3mm to maintain warmth. I wear a 3mm, and always have in the summer here. If you can find a 3/2...that will work as well. 3/2's typically have 2 mm sleeves and legs to allow for greater flexibility, while you have 3mm protection from your kneck down to the top of your knees.

Tom

Back
Top Bottom