1st/2nd Boat dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jon-boi

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Did my first boat dive on Saturday - a pleasant 42 minute drift dive at average depth of about 10m. Very good indeed and enjoyed it heaps. :) First dive using my DSMB - not a big issue but found it a little bit of work to stay in the safety stop at 5 m due to reeling in the SMB with the result that I hadn't dumped enough air from BCD.

Did my 2nd boat dive on Sunday and learned a few things! 1. Don't forget to change weights when changing cylinder size (I couldn't get down as I was too light) and 2. when you do get down in limited vis I should have worked harder to stay with my buddy -as it was I got down and was watching buddy descend above me, then I turned away as I got to 18m to check myself out and when I turned back buddy was gone! This too was a drift dive but the vis was perhaps 3-4m and I think buddy got caught in the current so it didn't take long to lose sight.

At least I stopped and followed my training, made sure I was happy with my setup/air/depth etc, then searched for about a minute in the direction I thought he had drifted. I couldn't see anything so deployed the SMB and started my ascent including safety stop. Up top boat came over and picked me up and a minute or so picked up my buddy.

So, second dive wasn't such a great dive but it was good in a way - I have learned a lot more from this dive than if everything had been fine - I hope this experience will make me a better divier next time out.

Sounds like you had fun,yes drift dives can be hard on safety stops,but you need these skills,as a newer diver a while ago I would cheat just a bit shhhhhh!! don't tell, and always take the dive flag and float as with the flag line you can hang just a bit negative,tie off at 15'- 20' (safety stop) and also have a vertical reference.Its just the dive boats don't like folks pulling the flags down as they lose track of there divers,so don't pull the flag down!
Its all in proper weighting as you will learn every one has there opinion on this as too much lead is no good,not enough and no way will you stay on a safety stop with a AL-80,so if you dive this type of tank do it AFTER a dive not before with 500PSI in tank and get your weight down ,also wet suits at the start of the dive hold lots of air so you may need to kick to get down!
See a OK article in this months Scuba diving on weighting it will help you,
Practice, practice, it will come second nature after some more dives!
Have fun, Dive safe!
Brad

Back
Top Bottom