1st and/or 2nd stage leaking problem, please help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You can easily test it yourself with a simple clip on IP gauge. They are inexpensive and will quickly determine if you do have an IP problem. Here is an example http://www.piranhadivemfg.com/item/Standard-Middle-Pressure-Gauge-3129 There are several things that can cause an unstable IP, way to much to go into here but if you check it, you will at least have some idea of what the problem is.

I just bought that. I think I should have it so I can check it anytime I have some service done on it. Thank you.

Where's Keene TX? There are a few of us around the state that might be able to help you if the shop you took it to doesn't fix it. If you're not far from San Antonio I'd be happy to take a look at it and tell you exactly what's wrong. Is it by any chance a MK10+? They have a reputation for being a bit more likely to creep, but that's no excuse for a bad rebuild.

Where's Keene TX? There are a few of us around the state that might be able to help you if the shop you took it to doesn't fix it. If you're not far from San Antonio I'd be happy to take a look at it and tell you exactly what's wrong. Is it by any chance a MK10+?

Keene is up near Fort Worth. Yes it is a MK10. I would like to start servicing my regulators myself. Any good instructional suggestions?

ScubaPro does not support users doing their own regulator service. Although I believe you can do it through a grey or black market (and it's not as easy as it used to be) acquiring rebuild kits can be problematic. ScubaPro won't train you to do your own service unless you come through and approved by a shop.

You may be able to find somebody in your area who has been through the training and is willing to mentor you in the process, but you'll still have the problem of acquiring the kits.

ScubaPro does not support users doing their own regulator service.

That's all well and fine I guess, if you can find a tech that will fix it right. This has cost me a dive in Cozumel - my only chance to dive there (was on a cruise), I had to rent regs in Florida when I was there, because the 1st stage was leaking, and now I am having these other reg problems. They should let us do it ourself, and it might get done right.

First try to make the service tech make sure his work was adequate. That kind of performance coming right out of serve is just not reasonable. Unfortunately, your story is not uncommon. So, shops correcting their errors at no additional charge is also not uncommon. But beware, some errors can cause permanent damage that shops have been know to try to make the customer pay for. For example, if the problem needs a new piston to correct, then that is what is required. But piston damage rarely occurs while the piston is installed in the regulator. And service techs have been known to try to get customers to pay for the tech's errors - Scubapro does not unless it is under warranty. So make the shop do its job first.

Then, if you are really interested in DIY. I am about 2 hours south of you. I have no Scubapro training. I taught myself. It just is not that hard. I would be happy to welcome you to the dark side.

ScubaPro does not support users doing their own regulator service. Although I believe you can do it through a grey or black market (and it's not as easy as it used to be) acquiring rebuild kits can be problematic. ScubaPro won't train you to do your own service unless you come through and approved by a shop.

You may be able to find somebody in your area who has been through the training and is willing to mentor you in the process, but you'll still have the problem of acquiring the kits.

Not really. Parts are fairly easy to get if you don't mind aftermarket parts. Shop Online and SP kits show up on ebay all the time. Besides, most of the parts that are replaced are common, easy to come by orings.

While formal SP training is hard to come by, learning to DIY service is fairly simple for anyone that is even half way mechanically inclined. If other factory service is anything like the last one I took, a monkey could have passed. Get copys of "Regulator Savvy" and "Scuba Regulator Maintenance and Repair", read them and you are pretty much ready to go.

Get copys of "Regulator Savvy" and "Scuba Regulator Maintenance and Repair", read them and you are pretty much ready to go.

alright, thanks. I ordered the "Scuba Regulator Maintenance and Repair" book. Thanks a lot for the advice.

Keene is up near Fort Worth. Yes it is a MK10. I would like to start servicing my regulators myself. Any good instructional suggestions?

I asked if it was a MK10+, which is different than a MK10. You can tell by looking at the bottom end of the 1st stage. That's the end opposite from where the 2nd stage hoses connect. There's a plug with two small holes. It takes up most of the end of the regulator. If it's shiny chrome like the rest of the reg, it's not a + (plus) If it's a matte finish it is.

I'm a big believer in learning to self service regulators, but from your posts it appears that you're really starting from scratch. That's fine, just be aware that you're going to need some help. Awap is an excellent source of help, but you'll probably need to do substantial research on your own. The harlow book is a great place to start. Regulators are not very complicated, you just have to A) be meticulous and patient in your work, B) have enough mechanical ability to understand how these things work, and C) get some help from someone who really knows what they're doing.

There is a scubapro dealer in ft worth, lone star scuba, and the owner and manager are good people. I do not know who's doing service for them. If the place you brought it is not them, it might be worth a try. If it is them, talk to the owner, he'll listen to you.

I asked if it was a MK10+, which is different than a MK10. You can tell by looking at the bottom end of the 1st stage. That's the end opposite from where the 2nd stage hoses connect. There's a plug with two small holes. It takes up most of the end of the regulator. If it's shiny chrome like the rest of the reg, it's not a + (plus) If it's a matte finish it is.

I'm sorry, I misunderstood. I will look at this when I get home today and let you know.

About Lonestar Scuba - I figured I would go see them next if the other shop doesn't take care of it soon. I think the guy that worked on it will fix it right though. I am taking them in their this afternoon.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom