1st ATX200/ATX40 service

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GoBlue!

Contributor
Reaction score
I bought two sets of ATX200/ATX40 a year ago. It's been a slow year, unfortunately, having put about 30 dives (approx 1/2 saltwater, 1/2 freshwater, only a couple dives below 100ft) on each set.

I took them in for a bench test, and the technician (my 1st experience with him) went ahead and did a full overhaul, as they were "divable, but just weren't breathing as they should." I hadn't noticed any problems, except increased resistance when vertical....but who needs to be vertical anyway (I realize this is to be expected with these regs).

Obviously, I don't mind the overhaul & annual service. I'm wondering, though, if these regs were actually properly tuned by this guy at the time they were sold to me. I was a bit surprised with the light diving load on them that they wouldn't pass the "bench test."

Anything I should ask in particular when I go pick these up?

Jim

Apeks regs always come out of the box ready to go. I always test them but never had a problem. Further more I have never seen one that was dirty or contaminated inside thanks to the environmental seal. Idoes such a great job that service on the first stage is only required every 2 years with secondstage service every year. The increased breathing resistance that you felt is just the cone seating into the seat over the year. IF the tech did what he was supposed to do and just serviced the second stages and adjusted the ip everything would be happy. I cant think of anything that could have been done to the regs to make them require service after only 30 dives.

As for what to say to him, ask him spcifically what made him determine that the regs needed a full service. Secondly tell him that you read in you user's manual that the first stage only requires service every other year. And third and most important, DO NOT let him charge you for any single part. Apeks kits come with the necessary parts to replace every single o-ring on your setup except for the high pressure spool (2). See what he says and let me know as I am curious to know what he replies..... hope this helps....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom