1st computer, so many choices

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For a new diver, I recommend the Suunto Gekko, even though I don't own one. (have Vyper which is next step above it). Comes in wrist or console mount. It is nitrox, easy to manuver through the different menus or modes. Has large digits, and in addition to displaying NDL time or ascent time (if you go over NDL) it always shows "run time" the time from descent to present.
What it lacks compared to its more expensive brother (or sister) is:
no back light.... but it is phosflurescent and I always use light if its dark anyway.
doesn't have download ability (unless you are computer geek and read the posts) but you can always keep a written log with the information taken from the readout.
Doesn't have dive simulator.... after the first week you never use it again
Doesn't have Gage or Gauge Mode. But as a new diver you don't need that anyway.
It is fairly conservative.
It does have a conservative price

Hi RR, you may wish to add Suunto to your list. A D9, Vyper 2, or Vytec DS would fit your requirements. The advantage of a D9 or Vytec would be that they have OPTIONAL wireless air integration. You could keep your initial costs down. Then later make up your own mind after reading about wireless computers (I'm sure by reading this forum you will hear every opinion ever created about that topic).

To help confuse your choices a little more let me add one more computer for you to contemplate :D . I have a Suunto Mosquito and it is a very nice wrist mounted computer, air, nitrox, and freedive functions. Battery is user changable and you can buy them at any store that sells batteries. You can buy a link that goes to your computer and download your dive log right onto your computer a print it out (way cool function). You can pre-set dive alarms for depth. You can also set for feet or meters. It does a few more things I can't remember right now, but you can check them out on their website. THey even have simulators of their computers to see how they look during a dive on their website as well. Suunto make several different styles check them out at http://www.suunto.com/suunto/main/index.jsp
image_590x160_mosquito_2ff45.jpg

I really like my Suunto Vytec...and I "don't" do wireless...air integrated...Too many failure points..and can be a bottom timer when needed.
K

Take your time looking around. The worst thing you can do is to buy a computer when you are in a hurry.

I made that mistake buying my Suunto Mosquito for my recent Philippines Trip. I wanted to use the Mosquito as a backup to my Uwatec Pro Ultra Computer. The problem I ran into was not getting a couple of test dives in before my trip. I had to learn how to use it while diving on my vacation. Also the one thing that really drove me up the wall was not being able to attach it to my Uwatec Pro Ultra Console unit. When I first bought it, I thought I could just replace the existing rubber watch band with a velco band and thread thru the slots where the compass console sat. But due to the pin configuration, it wouldn't work. I ended up wearing it on my wrist anyway. Don't get me wrong its a great dive computer, but I could have save my self some money by buying the Mares M2 Computer and wore that on my wrist.

This is why I miss the old Pennform Console unit. Some of you "Old Dogs" like me would probably remember that unit. You can mount anything on a Pennform unit and have the slate on the back, and be able to mount a wrist watch also. I did send a email to Innovative Scuba Products asking them if they would considering remaking that unit. They said they would look into it.

Lock Washer

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom