1st Dive Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

howman

Registered
Reaction score
folks:

I am ready for my 1st dive computer. I have been staring up and down the 'net, reading about everything, asking questions at the LDS and why they stock what they stock and talking to dive buddies. I am planning on buying a BC and regulator from them, but a computer is not something I expect they can provide much service, so I have no issues purchasing online.

I am relatively new to diving. I do not have the opportunity to dive every month, but if I am luck a few times a year. I know a computer will help me get more out of my dives and still be conservative.

I know that I do not need hoseless for my level of diving. Neat toys, but not worth the investment. I have heard some of the con's for wrist-based computers (fall off, get scratched, etc...), but they also have a convenience factor. Console-based computers offer air integration (more affordable than hoseless) and more freedom of your hands (for photography, etc...).

I have a Macintosh computer, and would like to consider compatability (I know Uwatec and Suunto have some software).

For consoles, my LDS has the fully loaded Aeris Atmos II console. I am also impressed by Uwatec Smart Com. But is Air-integrated worth the premium for a novice? Any other brands/models to add to my confusion/options? Would a wrist-computer be such a burden?

I appreciate your incite and experiences.

i use an Atmos 2 (wrist mount) and i love it.

nice display, nitrox-compatible, user-replaceable battery, long battery life,
and cheap batteries ...

and did i mention it doesn't cost much? :14:

i don't see any reason to pay more. the Atmos 2 gives you everything
you need for recreational diving.

I second Andy's post. I originally had my Atmos 2 on the 3 gauge console, and took that apart to keep the spg alone and made the compass and computer wrist mount units. Do not regret getting rid of my bulky console. BTW, I purchased my Atmos 2 in '02 and recently replaced the battery after 100 + dives (I think I paid $2.99 for it), and it still had 1 of 4 bars left on the meter. My wife dives the Oceanic version of the Aeris 300 (the Veo 250) and she loves it. Both of these computers are nearly similar.

On a different note, one thing you might want to consider is the level of conservatism you want in your computer. The Aeris and Oceanic brands are more on the liberal side (no political pun intended :D), so a computer like a Mares M1 will send you into deco before an Aeris or an Oceanic. However, I have over 100 dives on my Atmos 2 and it is set to sound the alarm at the top of the green on the N2 graph. That's my way of being conservative.

Wrist mount would be better if you are an occasional diver and might have to rent gear.....that way you can rent it all but still take your dive computer with you.

Air integration is a nice and useful feature.....since the computer tells you how much air you have left at any give depth (but you should still plan you dives and dive your plans and use the computer as an aid only).

I dive the Oceanic Atom and never had issues with conservatism or being too liberal, after all they are adjustable and give constant status......it's up to the person to interpret that info!

Hi Howman,

I've been diving for about a year and have a Suunto Stinger. I really like it.

I have no issues reading the display, even though it is watch sized. One of my friends switched to the Stinger after seeing my display underwater; he had Mares Nemo and could not see the display very well since he is a little far sighted.

I have another friend who has a Suunto Mosquito. He beat his up pretty badly, which I think is because of the plastic case. He's an Instructor so he dives a lot more than I do, but I wear my Stinger as a watch every day like he does, and mine has held up nicely to the abuse.

I've also borrowed a freind's Suunto Vyper. It has the same features as my Stinger, but is in a bigger wrist mount or console case.

I would like to have air integration some day, but those units are a little more expensive and I would like to purchase some other items first (backplate & wings, regulators, tanks). Maybe after I get everything else, I'll get a D9.

I have no experience diving with other brands, but I did look quite a bit online and in stores before buying my Stinger. I really like the user interface; it's are easy to operate (after the initial learning curve) and provides a lot of information without having a crowded display.

I've also read some comparisions that I found linked in the ScubaBoard forums. Suuntos have a fairly conservative implementation of the RGBM algorithm. There are altitude and added personal safety margins that you can set. I'm told that they penalize you heavily if you do something stupid, but I know that they give you plenty of warning to keep you out of trouble and even provide deco information (but you're a safe diver like me and won't need deco until you're trained, right?
icosm14.gif
). To me, I read all of this to mean that it's pretty darn safe as long as you know how to use it and pay attention to it.

I haven't purchased the computer data interface, so I can't tell you anything about that other than you can download the software for free and play with it in simulation mode.

I might also suggest that you search the forums for the brands that you are interested in and also just "computer" to find more info.

Hope this helps,

I also am a big Aeris / Oceanic fan... And as far as them being liberal, remember you can take a liberal computer and make it more conservative. Diving with a computer is easy... jump in the water and don't let the big number hit zero. You want to be more conservative? Don't let the big number hit 5. And you can set it to beep when you have 5 minitues of deco time left if you want.

I never download my stuff... so it really doesn't matter to me, but I unless it works with one of the mock windows programs... the download software won't work on a Mac.

Quick hijaak...

do the Aeris comptuers have a guage mode? And if so, do they lock out on deco violation?

Thanks.

Ditto the Oceanic VEO 200 (250) good , solid , entry level computer that also can do Nitrox and download dive logs to PC and I have mine set to warn me 2 levels before the no-decompresssion limit (got mine as part of my console for $255)

Edit : It has a Guage Mode and Deco Mode with deco stops
in Immediate Violation mode (deco stops much greater than than 60' or violating a deco stop) it reverts to Gauge Mode for 24hrs after surfacing

Not sure if this is exactly the info your looking for

DB

I recently bought my first computer - a Suunto Stinger. I find it far easier having it wrist mounted, and it seems to be pretty sturdy (tho I don't ise the pc interface facility so not sure if it even has one or how well it works).

Main reason I went for a Suunto was that their after sales care is apparently excellent compared with some of the others tho I haven't had to test that yet ;-) But I find it very simple to use and easy to read. Highly recommended!

Folks:

Thanks for all the advice and comments.

The most notable quote I can summarize my whole search is to remember to "plan your dives and dive your plans"

I am now looking at wrist computers with user-replaceable batteries. I have been reading up on Scubadiving.com. I am looking for the Aeris Atmos 2 as a wrist watch. I am also researching the Suunto family of computers (particularly the Vyper, Vytec and Mosquito - the Gekko seems nice also)

How have people had issues with wrist computers? I have heard of people losing wrist computers and dive watches. Do the the straps undo and you just do not realize it over your wetsuit?

I am sure I can get lost in the details as there are so many choices, but the convenience features identified definitely help in narrowing down those choices.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom