1st Dive Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just so you know all the options, there are also retractor mount and hose mount options, especially for the 'hockey puck' case style dive compputers (as well as some other models).

Here's the Aeris retractor mount.

http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?product_id=AerisRetractor

I tried a retractor mount on my Dive Rite NiTek 3 when I first purchased it years back. I personally didn't like it. The spring attached to the cable was fairly strong, and I'd struggle not to twist my body too much when hearing a dive computer (mine or someone else's) beeping, and it was a bit of a pain at safety stops to have to keep pulling it out to look at. Second, I had on occassion seen the tongue / flat part of the plastic clip wind up on the outside of the hook / curved part of the elastic clip, rather than as designed the other way around. I had to look closely to check it before & after each dive as a quick glance wouldn't reveal this had happened while on the BC D ring. As I was doing wall dives at the time, the thought of watching my then-new top of the line Nitrox computer drop into the abyss because I had it retractor rather than wrist mounted and the silly plastic clip didn't work right didn't set well, especially after my dive buddy wife pointed out if I'd left it wrist mounted with a lanyard attached to the scratch & impact protector like she did, I wouldn't have these issues (obviously, she's the brains of the family).

I've never used a 'hose mount', but it's very similar to a wrist mount boot, with a set screw arrangement on the back instead of a wrist strap, so you can clamp it to an equipment hose rather than have it in a console or on your wrist. I never really saw merit in this mounting vs. a console personally. I guess if you had a console that only held 2 instruments, you could go this route if you wanted to add an instrument without buying a 3 instrument console boot. These don't typically fit non-round dive computers (like Atmos 1 & Atmos 2).

WarmWaterDiver:
I ran across this UK article that included a section on dive computers and lanyards, so thought I'd post it here.

http://www.divernet.com/gear/savers1199.htm

Thanks. I just purchased an Atmos I and a similar lanyard. This should last me a few years until I take any additional training. I actually went /into/ the store, which was not too far away, for my purchase (I caught the end of the sale for $100).

howman:
Thanks. I just purchased an Atmos I and a similar lanyard. This should last me a few years until I take any additional training. I actually went /into/ the store, which was not too far away, for my purchase (I caught the end of the sale for $100).

ROFL!!

I'm off to order some new contact lenses - when I went/into/the/store at several places nearby this weekend and this afternoon, they wanted more money and said they would have to order them also - not in stock! I guess this will work until / if some day I'm required to buy contact lens solution and lenses at the same place I get my eyes examined . . .

for my $.02... I bought a Suunto Gekko as my first computer since I have a Mac also. I figured since no one had Mac software, I wouldn't miss the added features. after about 6 dives, I opted for the Suunto Cobra. I still don't trust wireless technology under water, as I have had friends complain that in groups, their computers sometimes pick up other signals from other divers. The air integration and PC download make it worth every penny. There is some adequate software, DiveLog that is Mac native, and you can import from Suunto computers. Hope this helps!

Is your Gekko for sale?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom