1st Dive Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

howman:
How have people had issues with wrist computers? I have heard of people losing wrist computers and dive watches. Do the the straps undo and you just do not realize it over your wetsuit?

That's what I am wondering too. It seems like it would be pretty hard to lose something from your wrist.

PerroneFord:
Quick hijaak...

do the Aeris comptuers have a guage mode? And if so, do they lock out on deco violation?
Slow, but short answer. If a dive computer can't calculate deco for you, then it defaults back to being a bottom timer.

Longer answer: Yes, they lock out since they figure you are bent and can't calculate an appropriate deco for the next dive. This simply means it will no provide deco information for future dives (or the current dive if you have gone so deep and long as to have a deco obligation below 60').

OTOH, many divers mistakenly assume that a "lockout" means that it won't display depth and time anymore. The Pelagic/Aeris computers, like every other computer I am aware of, will give depth and time on future dives during the lockout period. Of course, the lockout period restarts with every dive.

I use the UWATEC Smart Com (console). It's a little bulky, however, the air intergration is a nice feature to have. Plus, it alerts you if are breathing too quickly or over exerting yourself.

It also has other features that allow you to customize it to your level of diving.

Lastly, the software interface is a great tool for looking back at your dive minute by minute.

My latest primary computer is the TUSA IQ-700 wrist mounted with the Dive Rite Duo cinch strap installed in place of the factory original strap. "Losing" the computer from my wrist is practically impossible with this arrangement. It has a user replaceable battery, CR 2032, easily found just about anywhere batteries are sold.

No matter what the vis, task loading, etc. I can always find my wrist . . . my wife taught me this.

http://www.tusa.nl/cataloque/tusa_diving/consoles/iq-700.htm

I have no idea whether the logbook software works with Apple products - Larry at Scubatoys could maybe know - and I'll bet Larry could give a competitive deal versus the other makes & models you've listed you're considering. It has the bar graph visual representation like the Aeris and Suunto products you mention, can have alarms programmed for depth and time if desired, and also has capability for programming 2 different O2/N2 gas mixes which the models you mention can't do - if your diving should happen to evolve to find that capability handy down the road.

Well, I looked harder, and it looks like Apple / Mac compatibility with the TUSA download software isn't a feature currently. Other than that, I'd say it meets or exceeds the capabilities of the other selections you've mentioned you're looking at. Larry's already mentioned Aeris and Oceanic download software isn't compatible with Apple / Mac either.

http://www.tusa.com/software.shtml

There's a post in the classifieds on Scubaboard with a link to a place the Aeris Atmos 1 is currently advertised for under $100. It doesn't have nitrox capability, but if you're not yet nitrox certified and don't mind the download software not working with Apple / Mac . . . pretty low cost, even if you upgrade later and use it for trade in or re-sell it yourself as pre-owned.

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=112258

I've got three Aeris computers now. An Atmos AI and an Atmos 2 for backup. My daughter also has an Atmos AI. My brother, nephew and GF uses them as well. After looking long and hard at the different computers, I really like the Aeris line. Very modular and intuitive. I have Aeris quick disconnects on my reg setup as well as my daughters. So we can easily swap computers in a pinch as well as their SPG that comes with the Atmos2 (Not in between repetitive dives of course)

I really like the modularity part of it. I can dive with the computer in the SPG block or pop it out and put it on my wrist. Or put it on a retractor on my BC or even clamp it to any free hose in my rig. That coupled with the Aeris quick disconnect setup makes it really easy to pick and choose who is going to dive with what computer and/or SPG setup as needed.

I've had a little issue with the downloading of dives on one of our AI's. I really attribute it to the loose cable connection between it and the PC though. Aeris is looking at it right now to try and solve the problem. The Atmos 2 uses the same cable is a alot more snug when connected.

After reading up in the Dr. Deco section a bit I started noticing that there basically is no better dive algorithm out there. All are just theories at this point with no hard data proving one safer than another. What I like about the Aeris (and Oceanic) is that it is more liberal, and you can choose to ride it right to the limits or back off and be safer. You are not forced to dive a conservative profile if you don't want to.

Wow, the more I look, the more options that pop up!

Thanks for the info on the Atmos 1 - that price is a great deal (even without the computer interface, backlight and nitrox). It seems a lot of folks use "older" computers as back-ups. I could fiddle with that computer as I build more experience and then decide later on what advanced computer would work for me.

There has also been some great discussions about the various computer algorithms here as well. I am going to dig around here for a few more days and decide what to get next week.

I appreciate all the details.

Tamas:
I dive the Oceanic Atom and never had issues with conservatism or being too liberal, after all they are adjustable and give constant status......it's up to the person to interpret that info!

Oceanic Atom here too. Love it!!!!

But heard that the PC connection software is pretty bad.

Dacor Darwins are availibe as both a wrist computer and in a console. I have a console with a Dacor Darwin, and it hasn't given me any trouble. The computer is very conservative, user friendly, and runs on regular AAA batteries that you can change yourself.

Back
Top Bottom