1st Lionfish Hunter Specialty Course offered in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hondaid

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
From January 7th - 12th Sandollar Sports will be hosting the first ever PADI Lionfish Hunter Distinctive Specialty. The course will be offered by its author Garry Brenner, and the inventor of the E.L.F. tool Tal Bixby.It will be taught at the Wyndham Resort with other locations available depending on response. At the close of the week there will be a drawing for a Cressi Wrist Mount Dive Computer. There must a minimum of 6 participants to hold the drawing. Those interested should have a minimum of Advanced Open Water certification and respond via PM for further details.

I met the owner of Sand Dollar at the Humane Society benefit last week as he and his lovely wife sat at our table. Are you SERIOUS that PADI has a certification for this? Cripes, it's not that hard.

Is Cozumel going to open up its waters to hunt lionfish? Will it be mandatory to use the ELF $200 after ceritication $180??? Sounds like a good deal for ELF manufactoring.

la diver - We use the E.L.F. cuase it's the most efficent and safest. And it won't damage other delicate marine life. They are also avalible to rent as well. Plus there will be a special if you'd like to buy one at the Cozumel session for $129.​

On December 22nd, the Marine Park issued a statement saying that they would no longer allow spearguns or harpoons to be used in the marine park. Only approved marine park netting. I believe this was sent to all dive shop owners.
Looks like they are going to have to cancel this event.

This makes no sense, except to promote and sell your own product. Not trying to be adversarial, but there are many of us that have been safely using various slings for over a year now with good results and no damage to the reef.

I don't seem to see any difference between the Aquacraft Bandito (I purchased mine for $59.95)
speargun8.jpg

that many of us use and the aformentioned E.L.F. tool. The tips look exactly the same as the Bandito's.
Moot point now, I guess. <sigh>

Last edited:
On December 22nd, the Marine Park issued a statement saying that they would no longer allow spearguns or harpoons to be used in the marine park. Only approved marine park netting. I believe this was sent to all dive shop owners. Looks like they are going to have to cancel this event. <sigh>

Maybe they could relocate it and hold it up north. I use a $20 sling I bought at Cozumel Scuba Repair. I can see where the three prongs would provide a better grip on the lionfish than mine. But I seem to be able to get the little bugg**rs just fine with mine without reef damage. The bigger issue is how to finish them off if I didn't nail them right in the head. I need a seriously long knife for those monsters in the north!

Still seems an awful lot to pay. $260? WOW!
If they are staying down at the Wyndham that's going to be a long haul to go up north. They will also have to be very advanced divers to dive up there. I guess they can stay shallow but they are probably not going to find too many in the shallow areas.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom