1st or 2nd Stage Reg Failure on Stage/Deco Bottle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DwayneJ

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm interested to know if as a technique you are taught to swap 1st/2nd stages in case of a 1st/2nd stage failure on a deco bottle ascending from depth? I'm also interested to know if anyone has suffered such a failure and has required to perform such a procedure at depth on a technical/deco dive.

Thanks,
Dwayne

I have had to switch a 2nd stage. I took one off of a stage bottle and put it on a deco bottle. Really wasn't a big deal.

I carry an adjustable wrench with me on dives where I might need to do this. Finger tight has caused problems in the past and is generally not practiced or taught anymore.

I have had to switch a 2nd stage. I took one off of a stage bottle and put it on a deco bottle. Really wasn't a big deal.

I carry an adjustable wrench with me on dives where I might need to do this. Finger tight has caused problems in the past and is generally not practiced or taught anymore.

Did you just swap 2nd stages? or did you swap the entire 1st/2nd stage deco reg setups?

I have been on a dive once where my buddy had a 2nd stage failure. He swap the regs on the deco bottle with the regs on a stage. But that was the entire 1st/2nd stage reg setup. Which means a little salt water in the 1st stage. He had the regs serviced right after the dive because of that.

No, I just switched the 2nd stage. If the problem was with the 1st stage, I would have switched the entire regulator (1st and 2nd).

true story. this guy has a wrench in his pocket at all times lol

Actually, I don't think it's unusual for people doing technical dives to carry a wrench. I know Fred Devos does.

For OW deco dives when you have all your gas with you, its more likely you'd just change the whole reg vs. juggling a wrench and a 2nd stage (very likely) midwater. For cave dives where you have left gas + regs along the way (and have a floor) its more common to bring along a wrench and fix what you have.

I'm just wondering if there's much risk of introducing a failure into the first or second stage by flooding it and purging it?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom