1st Service: Finish on 1st Stage Diaphragm Retainer Assembly

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DIY

Divemaster
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
IMG_0282.jpg
I just finished a week in Key Largo and Key West and thought it was time to clean/service the regulators. With just some light corrosion in the tread areas and under the plastic of the 2nd stage barrel under deflector knob. My log show (2) regs have around 50 dives each and (2) have less than 5 dive each.

Here's my issue, after a soak in 50/50 vinegar water solution the 1st Stage Diaphragm Retainer Assembly all have loss there finish in the same place.

Is this going to be an issue? No other parts are effected.

Last edited:
Nope. No harm done. I just use the vinegar for heavily corroded parts. Just use soap/simple green and a soft bristled brush for the lightly corroded parts. Areas you should watch out for are the sealing surfaces and the HP crown.

short term, no. long term, depends on the quality of the chrome intermediate layer over the brass. without either a pvd or chrome barrier, bare brass will de-zincify in salt water over time. i would only be mildly worried if you started seeing yellow brass showing through.

I just wondering why all four have the finish fail in the same place. Is there something I could coat that area with to protect it from the elements?

I just wondering why all four have the finish fail in the same place. Is there something I could coat that area with to protect it from the elements?
A light coat of silicone grease on the corroded areas. But be careful not to get any on the environmental or main diaphragm sealing faces. It seems to work on my regs and makes disassembly much easier. I tried Christolube before but it seems to do the opposite and actually retain water. Also, not recommended if you will be using the reg for higher O2 mixtures (>36%).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom