1st stage locked on tank valve (dumbest thing I've done in a while)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's not so much a mouse fart when there is 2800psi in the cylinder. :(
LP side is ONLY about 140-150 PSI no matter how much air is in the tank. That is what a 1st stage does! :wink:

nope. Now we have to discuss all the different ways this could have been done, as well as how each way is guaranteed to kill and/or maim you. I predict four pages, minimum. :d

good guess !!

I had a worse experience than that recently.

My brandnew regulator (bought a few days earlier) with 300 bar DIN connector and the ACD (automatic closure device) feature did not fit tightly into the valves of the 230 bar tanks of some dive center.
This is because the new 300 bar connectors go deeper into the valve than the 200 bar ones do, so their (metal) front face already hits the back of the valve while the o-ring hasn't made tight contact yet.

Aqualung Legend LX Supreme ACD DIN 2.jpg

Usually this is solved with a second o-ring of the same diameter as the one already present on the DIN connector (see picture above), on top of this o-ring, held in place by spit.
However this failed in my case because the spit had dried, between the time of rigging up and actually going to dive.
Everybody involved became a bit frantic because this was supposed to be a drift dive and we were supposed to jump off the boat at that time.

So a dive instructor took a smaller o-ring, forced the ACD open, and put the o-ring around this cylinder - in fact, into the slit which is actually the air inlet.
Now after making the connection with the tank's valve and opening the tap, surprise, surprise: no air came out of the first stage!
Worse: the first stage was locked to the tank valve, while there was no pressure whatsoever inside the first stage itself!
So unscrewing the LP plugs and even unscrewing the finimeter was totally pointless, because pressure only existed in the small chamber of the valve itself.
But there was no way to release that pressure, because the bottle's valve did not have a second opening, as some valves do (for connecting tanks together to form a double tank, AFAIK).
And even with plumber's pliers and brute force there was just no way to unlock the first stage.

Eventually, a few days later, they succeeded in releasing it, in their shop (I was not present).
I wonder how they did it?!? They never told me.
(They also did not respond to my email asking for refund of my inspection and repair costs)

This is how the connector's wheel of my regulator looked afterwards:

DSC09072a.jpg DSC09078a.jpg

Any ideas on how to release a first stage in such a case, without damages?

Stab the burst disk with a pin and let the tank bleed out the hole?
Dear Fish in a Barrel,
thanks a lot for your reply!

Where is that burst disk located?
Does "stabbing" mean the disk needs to be replaced afterwards?
Is there no way without damaging ANY part?

Thanks again!

Probably somewhere on the far side of the ocean, as burst disks aren't used anywhere in Europe.

Huh. I did not know that. What, if anything, do they use in Europe?

And now that I think about it, I don't know if my idea is even possible. It looks like most burst disks are hidden behind a nut that has a 90° bend to the vent channel.

Last edited:
Burst disks? Burst disks? We don't need no schtinkin' burst disks!

Huh. I did not know that. What, if anything, do they use in Europe?

There are none. Just a tank with a valve :) It could be that because of the much higher burst pressure of steel tanks there is no need. OTOH, I've seen Alu tanks without one as well.

Burst disks? Burst disks? We don't need no schtinkin' burst disks!
Hear hear! :p

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom