1st Stage to pair with FSR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

David Novo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am moving to doubles and obviously need a second first stage. I currently dive a FSR with 5th port on my single tank rig. Which second first stage would you recommend?

Deep 6 is not an option due to import costs and I am not servicing them so they do not need to be equal. Probably Scubapro and Apeks are easier to service locally.

Well, as the FSR is an Apeks 1stage, I'd choose an Apeks second stage.

I've been diving Apeks DS4 1st stage for several years now (10 more or less). I"ve got a bunch of them, with different 2nd stages : TX 50, ATX 40, XTX 50. Why so different an array ? Well, price had a lot to do, each time I tried to get the best bargain. Must admit that over the years, the priced varied so much, that some time, it was almost silly, one way or another.

After using them for some years (deep air, cave, trimix, nitrox, cold or warm water, silty or not, up to 2h max underwater) all of them perform extremely well, and I can't them I feel any real difference between them.

Maybe the TX 50 is a tad bulkier and heavier, the XTX 50 is my favorite (because it can be reversed and is wee tiny bit softer too breath on and that's the one I got cheaper), the ATX is the sturdier of the bunch (and price is rather mild compared to the others).

Hope it helped.

Well, as the FSR is an Apeks 1stage, I'd choose an Apeks second stage.

I've been diving Apeks DS4 1st stage for several years now (10 more or less). I"ve got a bunch of them, with different 2nd stages : TX 50, ATX 40, XTX 50. Why so different an array ? Well, price had a lot to do, each time I tried to get the best bargain. Must admit that over the years, the priced varied so much, that some time, it was almost silly, one way or another.

After using them for some years (deep air, cave, trimix, nitrox, cold or warm water, silty or not, up to 2h max underwater) all of them perform extremely well, and I can't them I feel any real difference between them.

Maybe the TX 50 is a tad bulkier and heavier, the XTX 50 is my favorite (because it can be reversed and is wee tiny bit softer too breath on and that's the one I got cheaper), the ATX is the sturdier of the bunch (and price is rather mild compared to the others).

Hope it helped.

I understand how my question may have been misleading but I am looking for a "second" first stage as in "another" first stage. Two first stages for a doubles rig. :D

I understand how my question may have been misleading but I am looking for a "second" first stage as in "another" first stage. Two first stages for a doubles rig. :D

Ooops ! Sorry, must have been reading to quickly. :D

I dive double on a regular basis. All DS4. Some will tell you hose rooting is less easy with hose, but you've already guess I disagree. DS4 were my choice because the price difference was high at that time. I have not the slightest regret.

I dont care about kits as I am not servicing them. It can be a Scubapro if better.

Got some Scubapros as well (Mk11, Mk18), nothing to complain about. But sometimes, at least in France, prices are just plain stupid. That's why I bought my 1st Apeks some years ago.

Since the OP has a FSR with 5th port, the logical choice to pair with it on twin set is DS4.
Before spending any money I would suggest the OP to bring the FSR to the shop and see if the routing of the hoses are acceptable on twin set.
Alternatively DST.

Since the OP has a FSR with 5th port, the logical choice to pair with it on twin set is DS4.
Before spending any money I would suggest the OP to bring the FSR to the shop and see if the routing of the hoses are acceptable on twin set.
Alternatively DST.

My point was to get advice on which one is better. I know which are available :p

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom