1st time gear purchase

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CoachSteve

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
so I have been looking around to get my own gear, and found a dive shop that the owners are very cool, they services all the equipment they sell, and have a package deal. I would like some advice on if it is a good price. also if this is good enough gear to last me a long time.

Zeagle Stilletto BCD
Atomic M2 Reg
Atomic SS1 octo
Oceanic computer with digital readouts. I can't remember the exact model #, I think. it is either like the 180 or something equilivent. the computer is nitrox compatible

the price is 1645.00. It seems like a decent deal, and I know atomic makes good regs, just want some more experienced advice on this.

thanks in advance. and if I am missing something please let me know.

My two cents, my humble opinion, my experience in my area. . . and any other caveat, you can think of. . . Zeagle gear is made in the U.S. and the owner is here on ScubaBoard, to answer any question you have. With that in mind, does it fit you in the water? Have you made a couple of dives with it? The BC is a good one, only if it fits you well.

Regulators, are a simple piece of hardware, with a tremendous "fear factor". Atomic is a relatively new company, with some people loving them, and some hating them. They are developed with a design similar to everyone else's. Aqualung, ScubaPro, Mares, and I think Zeagle. . . all have something that will work as well.

Each company, makes tiny changes to a basic design, All of them work well, Some companies have been in business over 40 years, and you can still get repair parts for those old regulators. Some companies have been in business a shorter time, and do not have parts to repair their older regulators. Still they all work!

Click the "Forums" button at the top of the page, and scroll down the list of topics till you reach discussions about regulators, and put on your flame proof underwear. People that have shelled out a lot of money, love what they bought, and HATE what everyone else chose. Too much to think about? The only thing that matters is what you have dove with, and is comfortable for you. . . They all work, until they need service in a couple of years, and you can find service in all parts of the world.

You want to buy a computer with less than 25 dives experience. . . My memory of dive instruction, required shallow dives, and non- decompression dives for a long time. Your dive certification may vary. Put your money into a good wetsuit, or drysuit, or a trip to the caribbean, before buying a computer.

Enjoy diving, go blow bubbles, and have fun. Meet new people to dive with, and rent dive gear from several dive shops. Then choose the gear you like, and don't worry about what someone else says you "need".

If you haven't already, read through the thread that involves buying gear you later regret. It may take a bit of time to get through it but there are some common regrets you will see come up again and again. There is also some humor throughout so it isn't too boring to read. You may end up seeing someone post something that may be useful when you look at gear.

There are a ton of threads on this subject already, the search feature can be a handy tool or just browse through the topics of interest. This is scubaboard and there are common trends as to which gear we recommend so it wont be hard to sort out opinions on what your looking for.

That thread about gear you regret is great, though I think its several hundred posts long by now.

T

Meet people through the LDS, talk with them, see what they use. Ask them about the gear they use, what they would do differently. As stated most makes are comparable, but service is a huge factor, and don't be afraid of closeout models....they will still have parts.

so I have been looking around to get my own gear, and found a dive shop that the owners are very cool, they services all the equipment they sell, and have a package deal. I would like some advice on if it is a good price. also if this is good enough gear to last me a long time.

Zeagle Stilletto BCD
Atomic M2 Reg
Atomic SS1 octo
Oceanic computer with digital readouts. I can't remember the exact model #, I think. it is either like the 180 or something equilivent. the computer is nitrox compatible

the price is 1645.00. It seems like a decent deal, and I know atomic makes good regs, just want some more experienced advice on this.

thanks in advance. and if I am missing something please let me know.

Does not look like very decent deal to me :)

Be careful with the BCD, Out of my own experience I would not rush with it as you do not know well what you need. If I was going through the buying the equipment again I would not buy the BCD that I have bought. I do not regret about the rest though. The only big piece I have bought that I would bought different was the BCD, most of the others are ok.

Hey scubatoys is running a nice deal on Zeagle Flathead VI regs now. I have bought the second one a week ago. You may want to check that one. Its a top of the line reg and the price is nice.

Do not rush, weight everything , read the forum. Florida shops might have nice deals now.

Hi Coach,

Congrats on buying your own gear!!! You will certainly enjoy diving a LOT more having your own stuff. Lots of reasons; comfort, skill of use over time (especially the BC), and pride of ownership.

The nice part about the LDS is that you can probably pay it out over time, they can service it, and will probably loan you something if your's needs warranty work.

I have to say that a computer will help your bottom time a LOT, due to it keeping track of your dive profile continuously. You will get as much as 10-20% more bottom time, at depth, with a computer.

Above all, make sure the BC fits like a glove. See if the LDS has the same model you can do a "check out" dive in.

You will find that owning your own gear will make diving a lot more fun. I used to have ill-fitting gear, which I was always messing with at depth. It cause me some anxiety, which caused me to use more air!!!

I am definitely going to be renting from all the dive shops around my area to see the different types of gear. just need to get out and blow some bubbles. I know I like the back inflate at depth as I have dove a hybrid, Atmos LX and it is great in the water.

It's a lot of money, and package deals are not always the best way to buy. Do you have a wetsuit yet? If not, start with that.

Personally I would avoid the octo/inflator. You're spending extra money for something that you eventually might not like to dive with. The atomic reg is WAY more than you need; IMO most expensive regs are not worth it. It is a nice reg and you'll never need another one, but that is also probably true about almost anything you buy. If you got a Sp MK11, or an aqualung titan, or a zeagle envoy, chances are very high you'd never know the difference. A couple of decades ago divers were going to extreme depths and very challenging conditions using regs that many divers today would not take in a pool. The old regs are just as good, but many new divers are conditioned to think they need the latest/greatest reg...on the guise of safety. Gee, I wonder if that has anything to do with the fact that you learn to dive at a dealer?

The BC is a whole different story. I would not spend any money until you have dove with a backplate/wing set up. Once in the pool will do it; you'll know if you like it or not. Unlike regulators, there is a VERY noticeable difference.

Start with exposure suit, then figure out what kind of BC you want, then buy any reg that you're comfortable with. Have fun!

Back
Top Bottom