1st Time Ocean Dive in Cozumel! Help!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

crdc251

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello!

In mid-May, my SCUBA class will be taking a trip to Cozumel for a week at Hotel Cozumel! I'm super excited since this will be my first time in the ocean, out of the US, and really scuba diving in a beautiful place. (So far my only experience is a cold, dark quarry.)

My dive buddy and I are planning to fly in to Cancun and take a ferry to Cozumel--any recommendations or warnings? We'll save about $150 each.

Also, for a new diver, what dives would you recommend? What other activities should I check out when we're not in the water?

Any other concerns, etc. I should be thinking about?

Thanks so much! Happy Diving!

First take a picture of your wallet. Frame it so that you remember what it was like to have two nickles to rub together. (I only have a button a beer coaster now)

As for what to do? Dive! There are endless dives to do. Get Nitrox certified. The Dive shop will probably have the sites pre arranged on a schedule.

After you dive, relax, have a beer, sit in the sun have another beer.

As for getting there I prefer to fly Maya Air from Cancun to Cozumel. Its cheaper and quicker.

Do plenty of boat dives (which I'm sure are part of your group package) but don't overlook the shore dive right in front of Hotel Cozumel for more bottom time. It doesn't have the spectacular reef formations that the boat dives will, but there's lots of stuff to see hanging out in the rubble...we saw all the "usual" reef fish, eels, stingrays, lizardfish, lots of juvenile fish, and squid on our shore dives. And at about 20 feet max, it's a great dive to spend lots of time poking around and also practice your buoyancy and other skills.

Wow...you are in for a treat!

Having dove way too many rock quarries, I can envision your first experience as you drop in.

Don't try to make to many plans ahead of time. You won't be able to do everything you want to do it one trip anyways. Make a list and then take it as it comes. Don't crame to much into your trip. Be sure to relax and take it all in.

Enjoy!

PH

Maya air is about double the price of the bus/ferry option. If you spring for the $100 roundtrip for Cancun to Cozumel you might as well pay the extra $50 and fly into Cozumel in the first place.

Details on the bus/ferry option here

Cancun Airport to Playa del Carmen/Cozumel by ADO Bus

Last edited:
Plan to go to the Plaza on Sunday night. Usually there's music, dancing, and lots of great people watching. And often there are other special activities going on as well.

You have a good start to the answer for your questions by reading previous posts. Especially look at the trip reviews and the Sticky at the top of the Cozumel forum from Christi. The sticky contains info on things to do around Cozumel. The Trip reviews will give you an idea of what to expect for your dives. No worries as to what dive site is best. The captain will poll the divers on the boat, or may already have a planned site. If there is a poll taken, usually divers with Coz experience will mention one, but ultimately the Divemaster and Captain have final call. What else to do ? Perhaps get a group and hire a taxi if you have a day off from diving. $50 - $60 dollars could get you time to drive to the East side to check out one or a few of the bar/restaurant/beach establishments there. Playa Bonita, Coco's, Iguana's. Also, a stop in the tiny town of El Cedral or perhaps the Punta Sur Lighthouse. Most importantly, go with the flow, take your time, not too much kicking with current, keep your buoyancy in check, listen to advice from your divemaster, take your time, stay off mopeds, courteous but firm no thank-you's to timeshare folks (especially at the airport), enjoy the wonderful Cozumel people, and, take your time, go with the flow....:) ! Wishing you a wonderful time ! Sue Sue

I was there in May and flew from Cancun to Coz on Maya air, at the time the airfare savings was around $400/ ticket so it was well worth it. For $150 i would fly right to Coz. Granted i know nothing of your financial situation but the $150 is well worth it for convenience. Coz is a tiny airport and very easy to travel to and from, Cancun is larger and doing the bag drag to the ferry is not fun (but you will make the best of it). I will guarantee though that if you go the cancun to ferry route, you will wish that you ponied up and spent the extra $150 to fly direct. Have a great time, you will love it.

Get a diving guide / buddy, that will be with you above & under water.
If you are going as a group, the whole group will benefit from the guide.

Tip generously, not just with money! After two morning dives, ask him to take you to his favorite pub for drinks & food. You'll learn a lot, divewise, peoplewise, funwise.

Many dive ops have UW photographers / videographers, that you buy the DVD from. Cheap too.

Hello!

In mid-May, my SCUBA class will be taking a trip to Cozumel for a week at Hotel Cozumel! I'm super excited since this will be my first time in the ocean, out of the US, and really scuba diving in a beautiful place. (So far my only experience is a cold, dark quarry.)

My dive buddy and I are planning to fly in to Cancun and take a ferry to Cozumel--any recommendations or warnings? We'll save about $150 each.

Also, for a new diver, what dives would you recommend? What other activities should I check out when we're not in the water?

Any other concerns, etc. I should be thinking about?

Thanks so much! Happy Diving!

Ya, the ferry ride is rough. I highly recommend that you go up the stairs, ALL THE WAY up, in the middle, stay standing near the toilets.
If you get seasick, "surf" the boat with your knees bent, and look outside at the horizon.

I do NOT recommend that you sit.

Cozumel is fun & relax, a diving paradise. PDC & Cancun for the nightlife. Do not PARTY and DIVE in that order...do instead DIVE, then that night PARTY, next day rest.

Try to do a shoredive so you know how much weight you need to gently sink, and practice remaining neutral - buoyant at 15 feet. Then again just above the corals.

Don't be an ass-newb and "land" fin-first on the corals please.

I was there in May and flew from Cancun to Coz on Maya air, at the time the airfare savings was around $400/ ticket so it was well worth it. For $150 i would fly right to Coz. Granted i know nothing of your financial situation but the $150 is well worth it for convenience. Coz is a tiny airport and very easy to travel to and from, Cancun is larger and doing the bag drag to the ferry is not fun (but you will make the best of it). I will guarantee though that if you go the cancun to ferry route, you will wish that you ponied up and spent the extra $150 to fly direct. Have a great time, you will love it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom