1st time to Cozumel need help finding a dive shop

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And I have been accused by another frequent poster of being a :pirate5: just cuz I mentioned the restaurant he was organizing his birthday dinner was a great little place that sadly had closed for lunch.:

Whhhhhaaaaaat!?!? DD would never do such a thing!

And YOUR opinion of who the "best" dive op on the island is YOUR subjective opinion.

Sorry for my ramble – but this subject of the subjective “BEST” operation on the island hasn’t been addressed in awhile :)

That's just my $200 pesos! (I'm expensive...haha)

Hey, Christie,

Not a ramble at all...it was like Joe Friday (of Dragnet fame) used to say, "The facts, Ma'am, just the facts." :wink:

I sorta look at dive shops on Cozumel the way I do "one size fits all" gear. I tend to think of such gear as "one size fits none"! We have patronized only 5 dive boats on the Island over the years, but for the past dozen years have stuck with just one because we found that he perfectly suits our likes: speedy 6-pack, very neat and clean boat, excellent marine life knowledge, "loose-buddy system", we can meet him at Puerto Abrigo--near the house we rent, he asks us what dive site(s) or what kind of dive site(s) we would like to go to on a given day, etc., etc. But I would never say that he is the "best boat on the island" because some other folks might want a very different experience.

So, what I like to see when someone recommends a boat or dive shop at a location where I have never dived is what that person liked about said operation. And this ScubaBoard is absolutely perfect for that kind of response.

joewr...hangin' on...hangin' in...and hangin' out...and this space is still available for lease...

the poster asked for dive op recos. I provided some, these may not be the "best" according to a lot of folks, I didn't even claim them as "the best" anyway!

these are dive ops i have either personally dove with or as a small business man, i have observed as giving service worth a recommendation...

I stand by each one as my top 5 recommenaitions, not my top 5 "best" dive shops, I hardly qualify to say who is the best on the island, I've only dove with a small handful of the the many, many dive ops on the island. I have found people who provide for me and my wife and we like diving with them.

just trying to give the poster a range of dive ops to go from. I had NO help finding my first dive op on the island and it was hard as hell.

I had NO help finding my first dive op on the island and it was hard as hell.

Amen to that! :) I lucked into my 1st dive op (Papa Hogs) in 1996 - was on the airplane heading down on my honeymoon. Saw a buddy of mine on the plane that I had worked with recently. Buddy shouts across 8 rows: "hey - who you diving with? We have 7 and need an 8th - you up for it?". I said yes (first ocean dives ever) and on day 2 we did Devils Throat. :)

Back
Top Bottom