1st Timer to Thailand...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'd also consider a 2- or 3-day trekking in the Khao Sok National Park close to Khao Lak. Have fun whatever you decide :D

Karin

Hm, call me old-fashioned but I still like the Lonely Planet guides :wink:

Travel guides are, like, so 2005. It's all iHolidays now. That said, using one to get an overview of the highlights for a country has it merits.

(For Thailand, totally in my opinion, worthwhile for the North and East, less so for anywhere near the islands)

I recommend the Lonely Planet over the others...maybe it's because of the 3 great reviews they give our dive shop :D

Travelfish is also good, but their pages have not been updated for a very long time for more than 3 years.

Around Khao Lak there is plenty to do: Khao Sok National Park (we also do lake diving there!), Sri Phangna Park, as well the beaches. Add to that the daytrips to Krabi, Phang Nga bay and you have yourself a very nice holiday!

Thank you all for the recommendations thus far.

The main purpose of the trip is to get some good diving in, so that is my starting point in planning. Liveaboard really seems to be the best option but the tough part now becomes picking one that fits into our flight schedule.

We plan to arrive on a Sunday afternoon and would like to do a 5 or 6 night liveaboard. Our return flight will be two weeks from our initial Saturday arrival.

From what I see, most of the 5 day trips are Saturday to Saturday so that obviously will not work for us.

Any recommendations for something that will logistically work?

Thanks for all of your in time in answering What must be common questions.

Tightlines, even if the liveaboard leaves the marina before you get there, it is possible for them to pick you up the next day and take you out to the liveaboard. I don't know how that would work for you, but it is a possibility.

TightLines, we offer a 5-day trip including Similans, Koh Bon, Koh Tachai, Surin Islands and Richelieu Rock :) We don't have any "rest" days on land, so it's a sliding schedule rather than departure a fixed day every week. You are of course very welcome to have a look at our online schedule on Hem | mvoktavia.com

Aqua, thanks for the recommendation.

As a further stipulation to the 5 day diving, and non-Saturday to Saturday schedule, I think the final stipulation will be that the trip includes richelieu rock.

I've spent a lot of time researching and am struggling a bit.

Any help is appreciated.

I've spent a lot of time researching and am struggling a bit.

Any help is appreciated.
TL, you really should consider getting an agent to help you with this. It's so much more efficient and it costs you no more than doing it all yourself. Agents have access to all of the information for the boats (including Aquamarin's boat!) and can organize short lists for you as well as get answers for all your questions about any specific boat.

Thanks everyone for the help so far, I've spent a ton of time looking for the right boat (here and via Google).

I now know exactly what I am looking for and would really appreciate some recommendations for a medium to upper budget boat.

Any 5 day LOB that makes it to Richelieu.

Thanks in advance.

Back
Top Bottom