1st trip to Cozumel. Tips?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We leave Friday, are staying a week at Iberostar Cozumel and diving with the operator there. Have been told we will have our own chartered boat due to our group size. We are doing a 2 tank dive every morning, and are also doing a cenote dive and a night dive.
Thanks for any and all information!!!!

Since you are staying at an Iberostar resort, I believe the onsite dive op will be Dressel Divers. The cenote dive and night dive kind of tipped it off that you may have purchased something like the Gorilla package. I dove from their place 1 day when staying on the mainland. We ferried over to Coz and then took their dive boat all the way down to the Iberostar. They have nice facilities and since you are staying there, that makes everything even easier. The staff is very friendly/helpful. Hopefully having a chartered boat will give you longer dive times; otherwise the dives are going to last anywhere from 45-50 minutes as they try to stay on a schedule. Dressel's boat was really nice, clean, and roomy and I hope the charter is also, for you. They will keep your gear after each day of diving. A tip for the cenote dive: chances are you will ferry back to PDC, ride in a vehicle to another resort to pick up weights and wetsuit, and then go to the cenote. The process is reversed after the dives. Depending on your comfort level with temp, choose a wetsuit that will keep you comfy. My buddy and I took the 7mm suits and would have been happy with the 5mm. The cenote wasn't as cold as I thought it would be: 77 degrees F both dives and we were as far down as 48 ft. Also be sure to figure out how much weight you will need with the thicker wetsuit. The cenotes we dove were Tach Majal. I would ask the dive staff what the procedure is for that day to be sure.

The Iberostar pier is close to great dive sites and boat rides will not be long. The one day we were at the resort we were able to eat at the buffet after our dives and it was really good. Hope it is for you.

You might want to hire a private DM for the two of you. You will see a lot more and it doesn't hurt to have a pro looking out for newly minted divers. I think the going rate is around $35 for two dives and you should tip generously.

Think all of the suggestions from everyone are good, but if you are trying to save money I would enjoy the charter boat and with 14 of you, assuming you all do the same thing each day, you will most likely have several DM's along with you. That way you can tip whatever you feel is normal for the service you're getting. I would also ask about how many DMs will be with you on your boat dives. Dressel was very good about posting on a board who the dive groups were on the boat each day and the DM's assigned to each group. They also post other info such as the dive site and the dive plan depth and time. Not having as much experience as many on SB, I have been to Coz 3 times at different times of the year and have found it to be some of the easiest diving I've done.

The night dive will be nice. They will provide lights for you so if you don't have one, there is no need to purchase one. If you are really looking to dive a lot, there is a very easy night dive that is off the pier at El Cid La Cieba hotel which is just north of the cruise ship pier.

I say this on all threads asking for something not to miss: the Pirate Dinner cruise which leaves from the pier in town is a blast. The most fun thing we've done in Coz. Food was great and you will be entertained (at least that was true in 2012 which was the first time I'd been to Coz.)

Hope you have a great trip!

I say this on all threads asking for something not to miss: the Pirate Dinner cruise which leaves from the pier in town is a blast. The most fun thing we've done in Coz. Food was great and you will be entertained!
Out of curiosity, what was so fun about it? It seems like the most touristy lame thing you see in areas like the Yucatan. Not trying to hate, I'm curious.

Here are a couple of non-Cozumel related tips. YMMV

1. bring a spare battery and tool for your dive computer.
2. quart ziploc bags are great 'dry bags' for personal items (cell phone, money, etc)
3. a safety-sausage (inflatable emergency signaling device) is cheap and useful
4. whistle - cheap and useful
5. reef-safe sunblock can be purchased online or before departure more cheaply than near resort areas
6. bring a few garbage bags to isolate your wet clothes, keeping your suitcase from permanently stinking
7. cheap sun glasses, so if they are lost you don't care

Here are a few Cozumel related tips. YMMV

1. Internet on the whole island is poor. Don't expect to skype or upload photos with reliability.
2. booze is cheap at the Mega and/or Choudry (sp?). We enjoyed evenings on the 'deck' with friends and drinks.
3. reef-safe sunblock is required (I think).
4. don't drink, brush with, or rinse mouth with the water. Ask about the ice.
5. as someone said on another thread, if you cook it or peel it, you can eat it.
6. get pesos to pay for taxis and meals. The exchange rate rocks right now.

best wishes

We did the Pirate ship thing a couple years ago and it was kick, ya a bit touristy but still fun. We did it with 6 twenty-something kids so was more of a party thing than a dinner cruise. It is a party boat with the pirates dancing, sword fights pushing booze shots on everybody and looking for for "volunteers" for comedy\embarrassment. Dinner was surprising good (excellent). Would not consider it for a romantic couples dinner cruise though and definitely a PG-13 thing for kids.

The dive op at the Iberostar is Dressel divers. I found them to be well run, but all their personnel are European and not locals. They have dunk tanks and gear storage close to the dock and is very convenient.

This January we flew into Cancun and took the ferry to Cozumel as well. We used USA transfers to get to the ferry in Playa. We have always had a good experience with them and like being able to go online and book a reservation before we get there. Go online and google "USA transfers".

We got in late to Cancun and found a hotel in playa, got up the next morning and walked to the ferry dock. Once you get to Cozumel, walk to the end of the ferry dock and you'll find the cab stand. Get a cab and it is about a 30 minute ride to the iberostar.

I've been to the Iberostar 5 times and mostly did my diving with Dressel. Several of the Dive Masters have been there for at least 4 years.

If you think you'll want to dive more check out Dressel's web page. There's a 20% discount for pre-paying for dives.

Night Dive: They will rent you a light and you can purchase a "glow stick".

After dive activities: Talk to the concierge in the main lobby for ideas. There are several tours etc. available. You'll probably be done diving around 1:00 pm. Personally, I enjoy bobbing in the pool and ocean, but I'm an old guy.

Make sure you make reservations for the specialty restaurants. I liked the steak house. (Order the tenderloin unless you like gristle.)

Even though your group will dive together, they probably will stick to the schedule, plan on 50-60 minute dives. They come back to the dock after each dive which enables a quick bathroom breaks and a beverage or snack.

Try to get a room near the dive shop, which is near the pool and lunch venue.

Try to take in at least one show, the Fire Show is pretty cool.

Research Alberto's Beach Bar. (Right next door.) Prices can be a bit high though but it's a nice change from the A.I. fare. Several nights a week they've got some kind of night life going on over there, but I've never checked it out.

Search the posts about the Bag Drag, especially since you'll need to get to the Cancun airport in time for your return flight.

By all means - Have fun!

I'll chime in here, and I hate to be a downer. My wife and I are in COZ right now, we're just leaving the port on a Carnival Ship.

We have about 30 dives each, all ocean dives, and all in the Caribbean. For these dives we booked our trip with Liquid Blue Divers and headed out for our first drift dives. YEAH!

Those two divers were rather challenging for us, the current (in my limited experience) is STRONG. The diving in Cozumel is not your 'typical' Caribbean diving.

IMHO, please, buy a SMB, and a reel/ spool. This was advice given from several other people. Watch a few youtube videos about how to shoot a SMB from depth. I also wouldn't use it for the first time without practicing under the watchful eye of a fellow diver... it's my understanding that they can be dangerous if not used safely.

I also read someone say you should hire a private DM... this was also very good advice. This guide can show you the ropes, and help you gain some experience while keeping a closer eye on you. It's also a vacation for your fellow travelers and I would imagine some people may get annoyed looking after novice divers for an extended amount of time.

I do hope you have a great trip, enjoying the life above and below the water!

Those two divers were rather challenging for us, the current (in my limited experience) is STRONG. The diving in Cozumel is not your 'typical' Caribbean diving.

What, specifically, was challenging? Just curious :)

I'm in Cozumel right now. Got here last night so my impressions of getting here are fresh!

If you want to take the bus fron CUN to Playa del Carmen, it's easy and cheap. Watch the YouTube "bag drag" video mentioned elsewhere.

Once you clear immigration and customs at CUN, basically (politely) ignore anyone who approaches you, until you get to your hotel - lots of wanna be "helpers" you do not want or need.

Taking the bus to PdC? Look for the ADO bus kiosk after you exit customs. They DO take credit cards for the tickets (which is good, because you probably will not have any Pesos yet).

General rule: always pay for anything in Pesos if you can (everyone will happily accept US dollars, and they'll happily give you a horrible exchange rate). So where do you get Pesos? From an ATM. In the airport, visible from the ADO ticket counter, is an ATM. Don't bother with that, it only dispenses cash in US dollars. Instead, after buying your bus ticket (use a credit card, preferably one that doesn't charge a foreign transaction fee), exit the airport terminal. Turn right and start walking along the sidewalk in front of the departure hall. Go in Door #1. There's an ATM in there. Last night when I arrived, that ATM was out of cash. There are 2 more ATMs at the other end of the departure terminal. Those had cash yesterday. After getting cash in pesos, exit the terminal, and continue to the right, sticking close to the wall, and continue maybe 100 yards more - you need to walk thru a gate of sorts. Not sure, just ask A D O bus? You should see the bus area, ask for Playa Del Carmen. You can have them stow your bags below the bus. Get on and relax. Watch some James Bond movie dubbed into Spanish as the bus rolls to Playa del Carmen (about an hour - there will be one quick stop at Puerto Morelos after about 15-20 minutes). At the bus station in Play del Carmen, get your bags (you may have to climb in and grab them yourselves). Exit the bus station and head for the plaza with all the activity (kitty corner from the bus station exit). You will walk past market stalls and you will see a steady stram of places trying to sell you ferry tickets - there must be 25 ticket kiosks. All 3 ferries appear to be the same and leave at roughly the same time. I ignored all the ticket hawkers. Walk to the ferry pier (it's at the opposite corner of the plaza). Take the escalator up - follow the obvious signs "to Cozumel". There are people up there taking tickets and guiding you onto their boats. I just asked "can I buy tickets on the boat?" They said yes, and helped us with our large heavy bags (tip appreciated). They should give you a back check ticket for each piece. Get on the boa (watch to be sure your bags get on the same boat). Sit and relax, it's about 30 minutes. Feeling seasick? Think you MIGHT feel seasick in 5 minutes? Ask any of the nice boat staff standing around for a barf bag - they all gave them ("bolsa, poor favor?")...better to have it on hand just in case... At Cozumel, retrieve your bags, then walk to the end of the pier. Taxi stand to the left. Grab a taxi, ask how much before getting in, pay with pesos if you can. Check in to your hotel. Stop worrying about anything, and have fun.

Its a bit of a long schlepp to get there (we arrived exhausted) but it's easy enough.

And now, me and the wife are going to walk in to town, and then head to El Morro for some sautéed lobster. We dive in the morning. Cheerio.

Back
Top Bottom