1st trip to Cozumel. Tips?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Drink much tequila! All else will sort itself out then.

@gr8jab... the current, although I believe it was nice to dive with you today!

Oh, maybe you have me confused with someone else. I've been stuck at work since 7am, looking at the sunny Southern California day outside.

I guess what I'm asking is what about the current was difficult? When I dive in cozumel, I drop in and go down. I drift with the current and don't do hardly any work at all. The only swimming I do is across current to adjust my path, aiming for some point that is down current (vector math). When returning to the surface, the boat comes to us. We grab the tag-line and line up to board the boat. Sometimes the boat drifts a little differently than the divers, but that's why the rope is used.

Were you fighting against the current during after entry, waiting for others to join the group? Were you fighting against the current to stay with the group? Was it hard work getting back to the boat?

Just curious :)

Opps... I was on a boat with a man named john, from Spokane, WA (not Oregon)... he looked like your picture, and I assumed you may have been named john (from the 'j' in jab in your name).
At any rate, as a new diver, I find that I can manage my trim and buoyancy pretty well. Normal Caribbean diving is very easy, no currents, great viz, a hard bottom (often, not always), ect.

With diving in current I found myself occupied with 'buddy etiquette'. My buddy (or myself) would drift ahead, or behind me, and I think we both spent a lot of time and energy (air) getting back to each other. This effort was in addition to trying to 'hug the reef', stay with the group, while using that vector math to duck behind coral formations. The vector math has a learning curve too... it's not like playing pool for example. I spent a lot of time thinking, "OK, get over this formation, and then drop 10' ASAP... ok dropping 10' and i have to get behind that other formation ASAP because I'm drifting away from my buddy/ group/ the reef... opps my 'vector math' was off... I'm going to be pushed into that formation... get from 55' to 45' ASAP before I hit that coral..."

I'm not saying this diving is crazy difficult, I just think there's a lot of easier diving to be had. I encouraged the op to get a smb/ spool and hire a private guide so she can enjoy her dives, with more personal attention, all while not encroaching on her groups enjoyment.

Lastly, I give this advice and perspective from the eyes of a new diver. I had no prior experience with current, or even strong surge, and I suspect the op had a similar level of experience as I do.

Thanks, that helped me understand.

With diving in current I found myself occupied with 'buddy etiquette'. My buddy (or myself) would drift ahead, or behind me, and I think we both spent a lot of time and energy (air) getting back to each other.
Don't ever go back (upcurrent) to get closer to your buddy. If you are the one in front, duck behind a coral head or into a canyon where the current is still and wait for your buddy. If you are behind, kick downcurrent a little to catch up.

Don't ever fight the current; you will lose.

Well, one more tip - I learned this today: don't go to El Morro on a Thursday. They're closed.
The PUB is open tonight
Basic Cozumel stuff:
Ohana's closed Sunday
The Pub closed Tuesday
El Moro closed Thursday
707 used to close Monday but then just closed:(

I am personally glad to hear the current has picked back up, It seemed to be recovering a few weeks back but prior to that it seemed to be on again off again but most often weak since last spring. The moderate to medium current is Cozumel diving and I think it is the key to the visibility and health of the reef.
Learn to enjoy and use the current. Once you are comfortable you will find that by using the current and expending minimal energy in maneuvering a simple dive with an AL80 can extend to 70 minutes and beyond when you are not fighting the current. Bring a basic SMB reel (or finger spool) and when you are relaxed at the end of a dive and, at least initially with supervision, learn how to deploy it. This is a very nice skill to have as a basic routine if you ever really need it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom