1st world problem

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The beer at sunset thing was tongue-in-cheek. I'm too much a Luddite to use one of those faces.

I too do daybreak and sometimes night dives, and that gives me pause.

Courtyards don't have full kitchens - I'm not even sure about a refrigerator or coffee pot.

And the gear storage thing.

And the security at BCV is outstanding.

I just start thinking about the way we operate on bon, and it is just not hotel-like

But you're right - it is a substantial amount.

Hey Brad I know you and I share some common work and Bonaire travel experience and criteria. I was initially interested in this new hotel and considered switching the majority of my work travel hotel business from Hilton brands to Marriott brands just to build up points for future use there. But after seeing it completed on our recent trip and reviewing their website I'm not much interested in it.

Here's why I'm not a fan of it:
- The faux balconies and french doors don't open to the outside air.
- There's no refrigerator, coffee maker, or other basic kitchen-like amenities in the room. (Perhaps a moot point since you can't enjoy your morning coffee or evening Polarcita outside anyway.)
- There are currently no diver-friendly amenities. No gear lockers, no place to hang gear in the room, and no means to ventilate the room with fresh air. I've read that a dive shop with diver facilities is planned for 2017, but don't know when that is actually scheduled to be completed.

To me it just doesn't feel like Bonaire.

The price difference makes it a tough call. We too often stay inland on other dive vacations but Bonaire is an exception. Its worth a bit extra there for the view, connivence and ocean breezes. Like many others we may not spend a lot of time on the balcony but its still wonderful to have, for us its mostly mornings and sometimes, depending of the weather, even for lunch and the afternoon SI.

Add to that the absence of a kitchen (that could be pricey in meals out) and less then stellar reviews I have seen thus far on the Marriott. If it was a one time option and the money saving gave me the possiblity of an additional trip, then yes I might do it. If not, I'll spend the extra cash to get what I want.

It sounds like you will be happy taking the cheap way out. I'm cheap also. I will be in florida next week and staying at three different courtyards and hies because they are all free nights or only +$40. None are on the beach bit close enough to either walk or a very short drive With the very inexpensive airfare it makes that trip worthwhile and very doable.

The sights I want to see are underwater anyway.

Any idea how many extra dives you guys would do that week if you had a house reef? Dive $1,000 by that number. May be a useful metric to assess value

Once when friends left early and we had to a couple days before our flight, we moved from a private beach condo to an inland location.
The location was not as sweet but the actual place was nicer and about 1/4 the cost. It had a nice central garden and the room was nicer. Besides, the sand fleas at night on the beach were a real pain, so after the novelty wore off we seldom went out at night except to see the sunset. The sunset is better from a higher location anyway.

I am with you. I understand everyone has different likes but for us going to Bon or any island for a dive trip for that matter and staying in a chain hotel is just not for us.

It's a "dive" vacation..and it's a "vacation". I'd stay where I can walk into the water and dive at any time of the day or night and rinse and store my gear easily and securely. Use those Marriott rewards at some other Marriott location. This is Bonaire... don't short change yourself... You deserve a GREAT dive vacation :)

Hey Brad I know you and I share some common work and Bonaire travel experience and criteria. I was initially interested in this new hotel and considered switching the majority of my work travel hotel business from Hilton brands to Marriott brands just to build up points for future use there. But after seeing it completed on our recent trip and reviewing their website I'm not much interested in it.

Here's why I'm not a fan of it:
- The faux balconies and french doors don't open to the outside air.
- There's no refrigerator, coffee maker, or other basic kitchen-like amenities in the room. (Perhaps a moot point since you can't enjoy your morning coffee or evening Polarcita outside anyway.)
- There are currently no diver-friendly amenities. No gear lockers, no place to hang gear in the room, and no means to ventilate the room with fresh air. I've read that a dive shop with diver facilities is planned for 2017, but don't know when that is actually scheduled to be completed.

Along with your other points above, which were among the things bothering me....

That last sentence made my decision for me.

Thanks all.

(My lovely children can certainly encamp at the Marriott instead of me occupying both apartments at BCV!!)

I am with you. I understand everyone has different likes but for us going to Bon or any island for a dive trip for that matter and staying in a chain hotel is just not for us.

This too.

Hotel staff in way too many cities know me by my first name.

Back
Top Bottom